1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bottle feeding help!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by AnnAngel, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hello,

I'm now bottle feeding my baby, she will be 8 weeks this weekend. She took the bottle well. However on the guide it says she should be having 5-6 oz. My problem is that she usually only has 2, 3 at a push, sometimes 4. This means she wants feeding every 2-3 hours. How do I get her to take more? Should I? She recently is fussy as well, spitting teat out and screaming but she still seems hungry. However after 3 seems full. I've just started using infacol to see if it's wind.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Ax

2. Hello,

I'm now bottle feeding my baby, she will be 8 weeks this weekend. She took the bottle well. However on the guide it says she should be having 5-6 oz. My problem is that she usually only has 2, 3 at a push, sometimes 4. This means she wants feeding every 2-3 hours. How do I get her to take more? Should I? She recently is fussy as well, spitting teat out and screaming but she still seems hungry. However after 3 seems full. I've just started using infacol to see if it's wind.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Ax

3. First of all ignore what it says on the side of the carton. My daughter only started taking 5-6oz at about 4 months, that is a lot for a young baby. She never had as much as it says on the tin, ever. I reckon they put that so people put more into bottles and they sell more.
    What you describe sounds like my own experience of bottle feeding my daughter (who is now 2.8). It really stressed me out, everyone else's baby seemed to feed every time a bottle was poked at them, fed in a routine etc. Health visitor thought she had colic, then silent reflux etc. We treated these to no avail, in fact gaviscon made it worse as it seemed to fill her up more quickly. Infacol just made no difference.
    They then told me to take her to the GP to get further advice re: medication for silent reflux, which I did (coincidentally at exactly 2 months). GP suggested relaxing, only feeding her on demand when she was clearly hungry and just giving her however much she wanted and a total ban on looking at the side of the bottle. I remember up to then my husband and I had gone down the route of keeping a daily total and worrying even more on bad days! Of course if you are breastfeeding you have no idea how much they are taking in one go. Therefore as long as they are putting enough weight you wouldn't worry.
    Of course it was a bit of a nuisance, because it would have been really handy to feed at 6, 9, 12 etc but unfortunately it was not to be. If I tried feeding her when I wanted she would cry or move the teat around in her mouth with her tongue. If I was really lucky she would have about an ounce before refusing. There is this strange idea sometimes that you can force bottle fed babies to feed when you want and to take more but I don't think that is true from my experience!
    Just a couple of other things - make sure that the teat is not too slow flowing (ie is she now onto the second speed?) Also mine seemed to find SMA 1 less filling than any of the others and therefore she seemed to take a little bit more of that one.
    Obviously there could be more to it than this with your little one and if you are really worried then you should discuss with HV/GP just like I did. FWIW my daughter always remained on the same centile in terms of weight. Also interesting she now eats well and has a really good apetite!

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I had the same problem with my daughter. I went from mainly BF her to mainly FF her at 6 weeks, and she'd only take 1 or 2oz at a time. It felt like we were feeding her nearly as constantly as i'd been when I was BF!
    Just feed her when she wants and don't worry about the amount. After all, when you BF you have no idea how much they take.
    My daughter didn't take 5oz until she was about 4 months and at nearly 7 months I have just started to give her 7oz, although all today she has only had 8oz, although she is on solids now.
    Try not to worry about it!

5. Ann,
    I'm not sure ive congratulated you?! If not many many congratulations to you and your family. Delighted for you. Sorry not sure on the milk question but just wanted to say well done, hang in there, lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx
    PS Our little girl just turned 6 months old.

6. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

this blog entry on bottle feeding may help you with some guidelines about bottle feeding. about 1/2 way down are tips.

http://blog.nurturedchild.ca/index.php/2010/12/10/baby-led-bottle-feeding/

7. Thanks everyone. Have just started using the next size teats and she's now taking at least 3 oz and docent get as upset. I'm hoping that and just a bot of wind is the problem. Like some of you have said I also think she just can't yet ake much more. That's fir your reassurance.

Ladymarm thanks. Wow 6 months! Where did that time go. Who would have thought we'd be here a year or so ago. Hope you are both well.

Lots of love

Axx