1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bossy 6 year old

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bluemat, Feb 6, 2019.

1. bluemat

bluemat New commenter

My 6 year old is worrying me. She is a very bright child and has seemingly no issues at school. However at home it is a constant battle.

There's a constant battle to do homework, to get dressed, to eat food.
    She's constantly telling me off, what I should and shouldn't do, how I should do it. Telling me what a terrible parent I am.
    She also still wets the bed at night and so wears pull up (as I just cant keep up with the washing otherwise).

I listen to her, talk it over with her, give her (specific) choices, set her boundaries (don't do this or you will loose XYZ).

She's spoilt granted. But I'm a bit worried there is more to it than that. She seems to be a bossy perfectionist.

Opinions please?

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Sounds like you're doing all the appropriate things here.
    Perhaps she needs to be a bit less spoilt so that she starts to realise that her bad manners and disrespect are having consequences that she doesn't like. If she begins to link rude and uncooperative behaviour with the 'spoiling' being reduced then she might take more responsibility for her actions, even if it only because she wants her treats back!

3. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Imagine her as a teenager!

4. bluemat

bluemat New commenter

I don't even know.. terrifying

5. bluemat

bluemat New commenter

Agreed. It's worth a shot!!

6. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

What you do now will help her in the future.

bluemat likes this.
  7. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

Is there the potential for high functioning autism or similar? She may cope well at school with the routine and boundaries etc and then “blow up” at home - very common for HF autism. Especially if there are toileting issues as autism can come with levels of a lack of body awareness. Also telling you what to do could be her trying to control an unpredictable (to her) environment?

8. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Give her a smack.

She can't be that bright if she's still wetting the bed! She is a 6 year old child. You are a parent and an adult.

Take control!

I would try giving her a smack before going down the 'autism' route o_O

9. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

Gosh yes sounds like a wonderful idea, if a child wets the bed while asleep and unable to do anything about it (sounds so very deliberate!!) just employ physical violence and teach them it’s okay to express anger in that way. Actually just ignore the possible functions of all her behaviour, don’t bother trying to understand her or, really, parent her in any sense, just let loose and show her that the people who are meant to love and protect you will beat you when you upset them. Stellar idea.

10. hs9981

I was focusing more on the spoilt brat side, where they were saying the parent was a bad mother.

Another poster the chimed in that the 6yr old was autistic. I think you need to go and find your 'safe space'.

Sometimes giving a young child a smack is a good thing. I dont care what you think.

11. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Sounds like a typical 6 year old and that you are doing as much as you can. Maybe lay off on the "spoiling" and bring in the concept of chores earning treats. You must stick to your guns on this though. Keep strong.

Somebody once said to me to forget the term "attention seeking" and replace it with "attention needy" - it changes the way you view the behaviours.

12. hs9981

A short sharp smack, make them pack up all their favourite toys and donate them to charity (minus their favourite toy).

I'm not a monster!

They will feel good about it after a few days.

Then buy them a unicycle.

sabram86 likes this.
  13. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

Some children will be challenging for their parents but fine with other people. I would agree with what others have said and try to stop spoiling her. Have you tried a rewards chart? You can set the targets and the rewards but can also implement something for bad behaviour (it might be they atke a step away from the reward each time they are naughty making it harder to get something they want.

Whatever you decide to do you must be consistent and see it through.

With her wetting the bed, does she sleep through and not realise until after she has done it?

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume this is a wind-up for comedic effect.

15. hs9981

Thanks

16. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

These are also symptoms of anxiety so I'd consider if there is something worrying her. Do you spend time together? Are you on your own? Has there been a family event which has changed in her life? Does she have friends? Was there a time when things changed or got worse?
    Have you had a chat with school about your concerns, they may have seen something there, but it may manifest itself in a different way.

As she's 6, have you seen a Dr re the bed wetting? It isn't uncommon, but it's a good idea to rule out anything medical.

17. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

The Secret of Happy Children by Steve Biddulph - worth reading.