1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Borrowing school's resources

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ellesabe, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I'm just about to start up as a private tutor for Key Stages 1 & 2 maths and literacy and can't afford to buy lots of resources. I was just wondering what other people use for resources. Do you manage without? What could you not cope without? And is there something morally-wrong with borrowing resources from school? I feel like there is something wrong with doing this but I can't seem to verbalise why!

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

technically you shouldn't.

is there any reason you can't make your own?

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

They could get lost/a student may move to you school and pipe up you have shown them this already. Highly unlikely though. And assuming the parent is a tax payer, they have paid for your school's resources, and let's face it, if schools were as they should be, the parent shouldn't really have to have a tutor. Decent parents are paying twice, while all the teacher's attention is on other kids who (often) have parents who are unsupportive.
    This argument is void if you don't work in a state school.
    Still, I would never use a school's resources, though I wouldn't really call it immoral. May well be illegal though, schools have a licence to copy things. I'd agree with the other poster: make your own. Really you should try to make the lessons individual anyway, so eg if you teach Maths and your pupil is into golf, make a worksheet around that.

4. Sorry I've not seen this post before hence late reply.
    I do occasionally borrow resources from school, but only if I know they won't be missed and kids at school won't miss out by having to share books etc. Plus I always take them back asap.
    However, I do buy some workbooks etc from CGP, and just keep receipts for when I do tax return as it's all tax deductible.