1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boris was elected by Ena Sharples

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Dec 15, 2019.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Google her if you don't know her

. IMG_20191215_092920.jpg

JL48, nomad, magic surf bus and 2 others like this.
  2. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

Ena Sharples was a fictional character.
    What's your point?

3. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

The point is that the people in the north are fed up with leftist, London metropolitan bubble politics.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Interesting if accurate - The Gammon Apocalypse. :)

coffeekid and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

But they've had a Conservative government for 10 years

No-one's that thick, surely?

coffeekid and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  6. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Oh, Yeah. Back to attacking the intelligence of anyone who didn't vote the way you thought they should? Back to more name-calling? Or perhaps we didn't understand the questions? The people want to leave. The remainers put in every effort to stop this. Labour seriously misjudged its own voters. Now with a brexit majority in government, Brexit can be done. That is what people were voting for.

7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

What exactly is that title meant to mean?

8. Scintillant

Perhaps you missed the fact that being angry with leftist, London metropolitan bubble politics when you have a Conservative Government is a tad confused. Those lefties down in that London haven't had much impact on your NHS, schools, transport system, or climate change. Anyway, they can know sit back and bask in the glory and riches to rain down on them. Right?

As regards "intelligence", it is unfortunately a fact that the higher your level of education, the more likely you were to vote Remain. The votes of the better educated have been moving leftwards for around 15 years. The votes of the less educated have been doing the opposite. That isn't my view, that's a fact.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The data seem to point to Stan Ogden rather than Ena.

Jamvic, Laphroig, silkywave and 4 others like this.
  10. MyOrchid

From the Gov.UK website, August 2018 census figures:

1. Main facts and figures
    • at the time of the 2011 Census, the median age for the population of England and Wales was 39 years
    • among the broad ethnic groups, the White group had the highest median age, at 41 years, and the Mixed group had the lowest, at 18 years
    • 21% of the overall population of England and Wales was aged under 18 years, 29% was aged 18 to 39 years, 27% was aged 40 to 59 years, and 22% was aged 60 years and over
    • almost one third (31.3%) of people with Mixed ethnicity were aged under 10 years, the highest percentage in this age range out of all ethnic groups
    • 25% of people from White ethnic groups (including White ethnic minorities) were aged 60 years and over, the highest percentage in this age range out of all ethnic groups
    • 43% of people from Asian ethnic groups and 45% of people from the Other ethnic group were aged 20 to 39 years old; these were the highest percentages in this age range out of all ethnic groups

The figures don't tally exactly but almost a third of the population falls into the 18-39 age group, with a 27% aged 40-59. The chart above indicates that the younger age group favoured Labour, and a majority of 40-45 year olds also voted for Labour, while 22% of the population are 60+ and heavily supported the Tories. That would suggest that a higher proportion of older people got out of bed and voted, perhaps.

According to the same survey, between 2001 and 2011 the number of people identifying as White British fell from 87.4% to 80.5%. This suggests that, despite a rise in the number of people from non White/British backgrounds, the majority of the country remains "gammon". This is not surprising for an Anglo-Saxon nation. It does, however, make a nonsense for the suggestion of a "Gammon Apocalypse", whatever that might mean.

The Yougov website has interesting statistics, suggesting that age is now the key defining statistic in deciding voting preference. However, Labour is still obviously the choice of the majority of ethnic minority voters. Apocryphally, older minority voters favour the Conservatives, but it would be interesting to see data on this.

Orchid

Oscillatingass and Kandahar like this.
  11. MyOrchid

You are absolutely right - older, less well educated white men have a greater tendency to vote Conservative.

Unfortunately, in a democracy, the votes of young, intelligent women and ethnic minorities, who vote in the way you approve, are not given a higher weighting. Also unfortunately, you live in a country with a lot of older white people who, despite the failings of the NHS that you have identified previously, now live longer lives. It would be facinating to know whether this continues as the roughly 20% of the UK population who are of non-white ethnic extraction reach their late forties, when people tend to switch from Labour to Conservative voting preference.

In the meantime, I'm afraid the your options are to emigrate or to lump it....

12. MyOrchid

Considering Boris won it on the promise of delivering Brexit, perhaps agathamorse was referring to the "leftist, London metropolitan bubble politics" which have prevented the democratic process for the last 3 years...?

13. Scintillant

Do not confuse the facts around voting in this country with me not liking something. Or presume to know what I approve of. I support the Greens.

And that bit about emigrating, not a good look. Makes you sound a bit, er, you know...

Laphroig and monicabilongame like this.
  14. MyOrchid

Ah, the Greens. So you don't approve of the way in which 97% of the country voted?

This was posted on another thread today - you may find it interesting:

I'm not sure why emigrating can be considered "not a good look". Are you implying racism?

15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

16. Scintillant

My approval is irrelevant. If we wish to attempt to mitigate the climate emergency, then a Green vote is the only sensible course of action due to their policies on reducing emissions.

Suggesting people who do not like the government or country, should emigrate or leave, is something that some racists say. I cannot know your motives.

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Yet they will be singularly unable to achieve this unless they embrace green economics. They don't any longer - besides which they are unelectable. A vote for Green is no longer an intelligent choice.

18. MyOrchid

Voting Green in the UK will not impact climate change significantly.

Regarding your second point, I respectfully disagree. People leave their country of birth for many reasons. I was merely presenting you with a choice, should you feel disenchanted with the democratically elected government. You chose to imply racism.

I emigrated several years ago, while Tony Blair was PM, as it happens, but this does not imply that I am a racist.

agathamorse and Oscillatingass like this.
  19. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

I'm still waiting for an explanation of the title.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The proportion of Tory voters increases significantly for the 65+ demographic. Basically I envisage 'gammons' as people who think the sun shone out of the 1950s so we should all go back there in a red, white and blue charabanc driven by Boris Johnson. This is despite very few of them having been adults with adult responsibilities during that decade - many are just harking back to their childhoods or to popular mythology about how wonderful it all was before those pesky 1960s liberals started interfering with it all.

To have been 21 in 1955 you'd have been born in 1934. You'd have to be around 85 years old today to have any seriously informed opinion about grown up life in the 1950s.

Only a personal view mind, and I freely admit that I'm biased.