1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boris of the Hundred Days.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jul 23, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

With just 100 days (approximately) to go before 31st October when we hit the Brexit deadline, current ministers queuing up to resign their posts before 11:50am when the announcement will be made, the possibility of a vote of no confidence mooted even before the new PM is in post and the spectre of a general election looming, I wonder if this is set to be the shortest premiership in the history of the British parliament.

2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

How short is the shortest as it stands just now?

nomad likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

George Canning (119 days).

Could Boris turn out to be the Lady Jane Grey of the premiership? :eek:

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The shortest period in office depends on the criteria. The shortest ever period was only three days, a record held by Lord Bath, from 10 February to 12 February 1746, who was asked to form a government but was unable to find more than one person who would agree to serve in his cabinet. James Waldegrave, 2nd Earl Waldegrave was a prime minister for four days, from 8 June to 12 June 1757. However, since neither of these Earls actually formed an effective government, there are other contenders for the record of shortest term of office among those who actually governed the country.

In November 1834, the Duke of Wellington declined to become Prime Minister in favour of Sir Robert Peel but formed a ’caretaker’ administration for 25 days (17 November 1834 – 9 December 1834) while Peel returned from Europe. However, as a caretaker administration this might not necessarily be considered a term of office in its own right.

Of those with clear and effective terms, the Prime Minister with the shortest single one was Lord Rockingham (not the 1950s pop star who recorded "Hoots Mon"), whose second term lasted 96 days from 27 March 1782 until his death on 1 July 1782.

(according to Wiki...)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Blimey, they are playing it out like the Oscars!

mathsmutt, emerald52 and sodalime like this.
  6. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I needed the loo 15 minutes ago, I wish they'd just get on with it

florian gassmann and nomad like this.
  7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

And the result is:
    Boris Johnson 92,153 votes ( 66.6%)
    Jeremy Hunt 46,666 votes ( 33.4%) Turnout 87.4%

8. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

So, it's Boris.

9. MAGAorMIGA

Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom! Doom!

10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Which is more than 63%, so Hunt is getting booted out.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

A little bigger than expected: it was reckoned to be a clear win if he made 60%

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Good - hopefully before too long we'll be rid of him.

Should never have happened.

Laphroig likes this.
  13. MAGAorMIGA

I beg everyone's pardon. I should have said Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude Dude!

14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I think Boris will last longer than 9 days. I'd love to be proved wrong, though.

Let's go with this for the purpose of the bet.
    96 days from tomorrow takes us up to the 28th October - I reckon he will last past that date, and maybe even into next March/April.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd like to wake up now. It's really 2015 and I'm sleeping...

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sweet!

17. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

upload_2019-7-23_12-35-34.png

If he keeps coming out with tripe like this, maybe he will be the shortest lived. Best insights into human nature, my sharny arris!

18. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I'd leave it 4 years, just to be on the safe side :)

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

He needs to fire his speech writer

towncryer likes this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

At last, a Brexiter in charge. He has just a short space of time to prove the moaners wrong.
    I wish him well but he has a mammoth task ahead.

artboyusa, Jonntyboy and BelleDuJour like this.