1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister, but what will this mean for education?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 23, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Well, the decision has been made and Boris Johnson takes the prize (or poison chalice) with an overwhelming majority, so what do you think the new PM will do for education? What are your hopes and fears for the coming months and will anything change in education or will the status quo remain?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It don't think education will be his top priority.

Mangleworzle and sodalime like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

He has promised to pump an extra £4.6bn per year into the education system by 2022-23 to keep pace with rising pupil numbers and return schools spending per pupil to its 2015 peak.

If he lasts that long...I

We shall see.

4. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

It will mean more of what we have had - a shrinking share of GDP spent on public education, the deliberate shrinkage and diminution of public provision, and an increasing flight into the private sector by the rich.
    https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/past_spending

Mangleworzle and sodalime like this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Possibly another push for more grammar schools?

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Yes, he says that, but he’s a liar. I won’t be holding my breath no matter how long he lasts.

Jamvic, afterdark, Dodros and 4 others like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Eton and Oxford educated and a member of the Bullingdon Club, this man from a privileged background with a record of not paying attention to things he isn't interested in will probably just go along with whatever the education minister wants to do as long as he isn't bothered or threatened by it.

An archetypal posh boy detached from most of the country since birth. He used to get £5000 for writing a newspaper column that took him half an hour, he knows nothing of ordinary people.

In an article titled "Long Live Elitism", Johnson stated that "without elites and elitism man would still be in his caves"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson#CITEREFPurnell2011

Lets hope he doesn't last long.

Jamvic, afterdark, minnie me and 6 others like this.
  8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

He isn’t the next Prime Minister until May has gone to see the Queen and then he goes to see her. He’s leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party and will probably oversee the break up of the union. He will be a disaster for education selling off public assets to private companies.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Occasional commenter

Maybe not, this could be good news, we could have labour government within weeks

afterdark and Curae like this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Nothing much will change for the foreseeable future. Even if Brexit is successful, the government of the day of any colour will spend years if not decades negotiating trade deals with Europe and others. Boris will be gone after a short tenure as his vacuous, over optimistic plans for renegotiating a Brexit deal founder because they have little substance and just rely upon Johnson's force of personality but, as everybody sees, the emperor has no clothes.

Education will limp on with a basic level of service and subject to further back handed cuts like the latest teacher's pay rise which schools have to fund the first 2%. In other words, some teachers won't be getting a rise for another year.

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I dunno. Who is most unpopular? Tories or Labour? Pretty close. Prob end up with an unholy mix of Brexit party, Liberal, Green, Ulster Unionist, Labour, Tory and SNP. Someone would have to cobble together a coaltion government. I strongly doubt we would have a Labour government. Wont happen.

peter12171 likes this.
  12. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Occasional commenter

well, maybe we will get a "stop Brexit" governmentt?

13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Well look at the tea leaves because there is as much chance of getting an answer from them as anything else.

Corvuscorax and needabreak like this.
  14. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Oh dear we have officially joined muppet land. Is this man mentally sane ?

I hope he gets his hair sorted out maybe someone could suggest a Barber that could benefit both Trump and Boris !

What has he actually promised education ?

15. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

You are a wise man Nomad what is the likelihood of this happening.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ooh, I guess about 0%

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  17. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

As things stand, we probably would end up with some sort of coalition government. I can’t see any of the two main parties doing well enough to forma government (and, realistically, there are only two parties that could do that).

Never mind, if those who want PR get their way, this is something we’d have to get used to.

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Absolutely. Educate the top 20% properly, and send the rest back up the chimneys !

dumpty likes this.
  19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

20. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Nomad, you trust whatever he says? Have you forgotten he ran away on the day the parliament voted on Heathrow expansion. And, he promised lying on the ground to prevent bulldozers expanding Heathrow runways?

monicabilongame likes this.