1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Boris has got a big mouth but he doesn’t deliver” - the Garden Bridge Fiasco legacy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Dec 17, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I doubt this will help Boris' ambition to be PM. What a shame;)

'I feel conned': garden bridge donors plan to sue over failed scheme
    Private donors owed about £7m from charity behind abandoned London project

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/17/garden-bridge-donors-sue-failed-london-scheme

Christopher Clayton, a solicitor at Freeths, told Architects’ Journal he understood donations were made on the basis they would be returned if the project did not take place. “There are a number of both private and corporate donors who generously donated significant sums of money on the same basis,” he said.

The publication also spoke to a commercial property developer who gave £50,000 to the project and who was highly critical of the way it was handled. “The money was ****** down the drain by a bunch of incompetents and I feel conned,” said Michael Gross, the owner of Sydney and LondonProperties.

Gross was critical of the charity’s trustees and Boris Johnson, who as London mayor was supportive of the garden bridge. Johnson has struggled to defend decisions he made, which critics say contributed to the scale of public losses.

“Boris has got a big mouth but he doesn’t deliver,” Gross said. “There should be a parliamentary inquiry and a criminal inquiry as well – the amount of money lost demands it.”

2. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

So long as people like you continue to show such an interest in him, Boris will continue to think he has a chance of being PM. Most people, though, have consigned him to the dustbin of history.

nomad likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A man whose public profile vastly outweighs his ability.

I don't think he has any realistic chance now - his chance was two years ago and he didn't have the courage to accept it.

SirPurrAlot likes this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Failures in big schemes doesn't seem to have stopped Trump.....
    How many times has he been declared bankrupt? Is it 5 or 6?

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

None. Various of his companies have been declared bankrupt, but he has never been made personally bankrupt (which is hardly surprising because, as a multi-billionaire, it's unlikely he would ever be unable to settle his debts.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Fair enough - but that doesn't negate the point I was making.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Or Sadiq Khan and Chris Grayling with London's Crossrail. A much bigger and costly scheme than Johnson's ridiculous bridge.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There were conditions set for the construction of this bridge, the company/organisation failed to raise the cash.No doubt to easy to blame on Boris but did lay conditions which were not met. Khan killed it for the same reasons, Not enough money raised. He might have more when the new low pollution taxes raise over a billion pounds a year as they are introduced. Lucky motorists who have to buy new vehicles and pay takes for not a lot...Now if he used that to build under-river tunnels to avoid the congestion I might have more sympathy.
    Well done Frank.Another stab at your favourite political party...shame its a bit off the mark :)

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Was Crossrail the brainchild of either of these?
    Or have they just inherited someone else's mess? In which case, they can hardly be blamed.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

11. FrankWolley

Crossrail was authorised by an act of Parliament in 2008, and started work in 2009. Sadiq Khan wasn't Mayor until 2016.

So I think you owe him an apology! (And Grayling wasn't the minister when it started, either...)

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

Nope, it was a stab at an incompetent, overprivileged piece of excrement.

monicabilongame and racroesus like this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Am I right in thinking it was not just his decision allone, but the work of advisors and politicians.I assume you will stab all incompetent folks involved, as well as the man you describe!

14. FrankWolley

As Mayor of London, Boris was quick to accept praise for things that went well. Had he not thought the Garden Bridge a good idea, he had the power to kill it off at an early stage. He chose not to. The responsibility for this failure is his.

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

If you're following this thread on TES I'd just like to say sorry Sadiq you're actually a great mayor. Chris, apologies for hinting that you've been a lousy Transport secretary.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Who is being sued exactly? If it is the public purse, not good. If it is Boris personally, well done. (Except the judges will be nobbled of course)