1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boring Vegetable Soup

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bizent, Jan 3, 2012.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

In an attempt to undo some Christmas and New Year damage I made a vegetable soup with whatever I found in the freezer.
    Truth be told I found a bag of Aunt Bessies chopped vegetables (I am ashamed) and blitzed it up with some stock, lardons, garlic and spices.
    It was OK and there's plenty left but it is not as tasty as previous efforts.
    What can I add to it tonight to make it a bit more.....ummm....tasty??!!

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Any of the following, roast before adding:
    Garlic
    Red pepper
    Sweet potato

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Roast some sweet potato, blitz it and add it to the soup with a can of coconut milk with any/all of the following chilli, garlic, ginger, lime and fish sauce

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A good squeeze (fnar, fnar!) of tomato puree always livens up veggie soup! [​IMG]

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A good splodge of tomato ketchup, a big pinch of chilli powder and a tin of (drained!) kidney beans.

6. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I bet it does!!

7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Do I blitz it again? Or just leave the kidney beans whole?

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I would leave them whole for a little added texture.

9. BelleDuJour

Yep, deffo leave whole.
    Also Biz you can add a few more finely chopped veggies and let the soup simmer until they are tender. Even shredded cabbage works well. And add some pasta.
    A dash of balsamic vinegar also adds va va voom!

10. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I wouldn't recommend said frozen veg mix actually - even for convenience!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sounds a bit bizarre, but add: pinch of cayenne, a dribble of sesame oil and a dribble of balsamic vinegar.
    Works wonders with insipid root veg soup.
    Also - a garnish will lift any soup. Croutons are a good starter, as are crispy, crumbled streaky bacon rashers.

12. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I like the sound of the bacon bits and some shredded cabbage - two recommendations combined!
    Next time I think I'll get the veg and roast it with garlic and spices as when I make parsnip soup which if I do say so myself - is to die for!

13. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

The main problem is most likely the frozen veg. I find all frozen veg except peas, sweetcorn and broadbeans to be utterly lacking in texture and flavour.Peas, sweetcorn and broad beans are too really but I only get the real thing when I actually grow them.

14. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Agreed - my laziness and love of Aunt Bessie has proven to be my undoing lol

15. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Well... a pot of single cream was added. Then I found some red peppers in a jar that a friend had brought over on Christmas Day, blitzed them and added them in, a big squirt of tomato ketchup, bit more chilli powder and a teaspoon of ground coriander. Result = AMAZING!!! Gave it a really nice flavour. It is now gone and a lesson learned!

16. BelleDuJour

Aunt Bessie is the devil's daughter Biz!
    Shame on you [​IMG]

17. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Nooooooooooooo!!! She is the best Aunt!!! Although her roasties are not a patch one mine hehe

18. BelleDuJour

Now Biz.....anyone who can make sage and onion flavoured yorkies is the spawn of the devil!
    [​IMG]

19. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I heard she was the devil's mother...

20. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Surely the devil's Aunty?