1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boring thread about flooring. Info about parquet, please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Jan 6, 2016.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

This is a bit of a long shot, but thought I'd try this place.
    I want to get some parquet flooring put down. I'd like a nice herring-bone. Maybe re-claimed blocks. Something like the attached photo.
    I don't know where to start though - has anybody got this in their house, and did you put it in yourself? I know it's not as simple as laying tiles. It seems pretty expensive, but maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places.
    We currently have painted floorboards (previous owner had wall to wall carpets from the early 90s - all different colours, couldn't keep them) The quality of the boards weren't great, so I painted them for a temporary fix. Looking for a long-term solution now - I don't want carpets.
    [​IMG]

2. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Parquet flooring is a bit dated. I think the pattern is a bit fussy too.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

In your opinion. But if someone has just said they would like it then why pan their choice?

needabreak likes this.
  4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I love parquet flooring!!
    I think some of the most unusual I saw was in the entrance to Trinity University in Dublin. Instead of the usual parquet as in that photograph above, the pieces were 6 sided (I think) and fitted together. They looked most effective.
    However, back to CK and your quest. I think you might have to start saving up or enrol on a course at night school. I'm sure the blocks would be available in a reclamation yard?
    The very best of luck and do keep us in the loop!! :)

Lascarina and coffeekid like this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I do too.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Doubt this would work but have that style flooring but each block would be like a book binding of your favourite novels... just to give you a talking point...

'Oh your standing on the Narnia section, why I do love the works of Lewis!'

It'd be like a lying down library...

7. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Full blocks or engineered boards? The latter will be a lot easier and cheaper- I wouldn't recommend them for a classroom, but for home use they should do the job pretty well.

e-bay could be another start point.

Dragonlady30, coffeekid and kibosh like this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Can't answer your question, kid -but I do approve your choice. That looks great!

cissy3 and coffeekid like this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@lanokia It's funny you should mention books - parquet always makes me think of libraries and my old primary school. I think that's why I like it so much. I saw some reclaimed parquet for sale online, taken from an art gallery. That caught my eye, but I can't remember where I saw it now.

kibosh likes this.
  10. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I think I saw this in Belgium. Bloody waste of good books in my view, but you might like it
    [​IMG]

lanokia likes this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@Burndenpark - I'd want the full blocks. I'll have a look on Ebay tomorrow - all the prices I've seen are wildly different - I'm getting cross-eyed now.

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Didn't see this as you posted it whilst I typed. My links are to engineered wood.

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That looks as if it would all topple over like in Jenga.:(

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@Burndenpark

You're right I do like it...

I once went to a museum/gallery place in Bratislava [as you do] and they had a corridor with books along the side but mirrors between the walk way and the books... so it created the illusion of walking on a gangway in an infinite library... only bit of the place I remember, loved it that much.

16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@marlin - I'll look at those links anyway. Thanks!

marlin likes this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good game. Good game!! ;)

Burndenpark likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But the wife would loath LOATH it.

Duke of York likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Reclaimed parquet is hard work to deal with and not something I'd use without paying someone who has done it before to lay it. It will have often been stuck down with hot tar so the backs of the blocks will have a lot of this stuck to them. There's also the fact that the blocks will have had different amounts of wear depending on where they came from on the old floor and will need a lot of sanding to get them smooth and level. I suggest you do a lot of research into the cleaning and laying process before buying an apparent bargain on ebay.

New parquet is very expensive and needs experience or a huge amount of time to lay properly. Engineered floors will be the least effort and cheapest.

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@Mangleworzle - but the reclaimed stuff is sooooo pretty. Trust me to like the stuff that needs the most amount of work. Yes - realising already that it's not going to be straightforward. Will definitely look into the engineered parquet (thanks again @marlin ) and see what the search throws up.