1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

boring prissy floral frocks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Nov 19, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The shops are full of them! Not to mention nasty cheap lurex. Where can I find something a bit better? I'm getting married in january and just want a nice outfit I can dance in.

smoothnewt and TCSC47 like this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations! I'd be going to somewhere like Bluewater and browsing in John Lewis. Or you could take out a new mortgage and try Liberty or Harvey Nick's. You could even have a personal shopper - I've never done it, but I like the idea. Happy shopping!

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Woo congrats!

Sorry no advice on dresses.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

lindybop.co.uk

Buy vintage!

Eco-friendly and you get something unusual!

I love the one called "Annie"!

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Congrats on wedding Nizy! Rock on!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The only time we met, at Ev, I heard you tell someone your dress - which I really liked - was from Sahara. There are some lovely things on there. You could get married in blue velvet with high heeled shoes or boots or any sort.[​IMG]

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Hobbs and Phase Eight do nice dresses. Good luck!

MissGeorgi and (deleted member) like this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lindybop's not vintage, but I agree that vintage is the way to go. Etsy is better than Ebay for vintage dresses. I got my lovely wedding dress from there some years ago now. I don't know how old you are or what you like, but, yeah, Etsy.
    Can't bear the "glam" stuff in the likes of Debenhams and John Lewis. Blah.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

Sorry @coffeekid

Proper vintage!

Second-hand.

agathamorse and coffeekid like this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Flowery frocks look nice on some ladies, depends on many factors. Some flowery patterns are boring. Wear what you want ladies, then other ladies can talk aboutyou behind your back.

13. grumpydogwoman

If you don't want used clothing?

Joe Browns.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, Joe Browns
    Try Brand Alley.or Just Last Season. They have designer and high street stuff that is less expensive.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Anyone buy from Oxfam online? They do some great stuff and a lot is brand new that people have donated. Great prices and better for the environment.

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The sort Carrie Symons was seen in all the time around the time of the heated row at her flat.
    M&S is now full of them.
    I know what you mean!
    Fine for six foot tall slender trendy types. Hideous on the average M&S customer (I'll include myself in that bracket.)
    And they wonder their sales are constantly sliding.
    :confused:

agathamorse likes this.
  17. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Tell us what you like @nizebaby - do you want to go bridal or casual or formal or trendy or ...?

18. loranp

loranp New commenter

I really like ModCloth - they have a lot of 'special occasion' dresses, if you don't want something specifically bridal. I got married in a dress from H&M, so I understand the not wanting anything fussy!

19. rematch

rematch New commenter

I was just about to recommend Joe Browns as well.

Quiz often do some nice bits, too. We go on cruises and their website is my 'go to' for formal dresses.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Formal dresses. Shudders.

I went into Monsoon the other day when I thought I was going into Primark (!) And they had some jolly frocks. While I (briefly) thought I was in Primark I thought they were a tad expensive, but for Monsoon they weren't bad at all.

agathamorse likes this.