1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boring interventions causing behaviour problems - help!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by cat_fanatic, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Hi

I'm a TA delivering the Read Write Inc catch-up literacy intervention four times a week. I have a small group of students who are withdrawn from lessons to attend. Recently when I asked them to give feedback on what they like about it and what they want to be changed, one of them explicitly said they don't like coming because they find it boring and they want to be in their normal lesson instead. Now, I must say I understand that they find the sessions boring because the activities and tasks are very structured, meaning the programme pretty much has to be followed by the book. The type of activity is the same in each book; it is just the topic that changes. I feel things have become too predictable and repetitive for my students. I try and jazz things up with games, bring sweets in for the winners, achievement points and the like. But the fact remains that we have to get the work done, which they don't want to do anymore. I can't change the format of the intervention, but the girls are fed up and very demotivated despite my constant efforts to engage them. I have more behaviour problems because of it, and I cannot physically change the style of delivery. Because I had to have words with them over silly behaviour, they resent me even more. As a result I too feel down. I guess I am quite fortunate in that I only have about 6 lessons left with them!!

How to pick myself up??

2. re

re New commenter

You, as a TA, have no control over the programme. It sounds to me as if this is a bought-in scheme that is very repetitive and therefore the kids are getting bored. You could do a number of things

1. Abandon the scheme and devise your own intervention lessons

2.Abandon the scheme and buy in a different one with more variety

3. Tell the kids - 'if you get to this stage you will be allowed back to class'

Do nothing and make them get on with it.

In any case, the person who set it up needs to be consulted.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Another thing to ask: does it really matter if they are bored? Hard work sometimes is, and if we expect children to enjoy all lessons then we'll be waiting a long time. We try to keep them engaged, but it isn't a necessary part of learning. Plus most learning takes effort and graft. Thats another lesson they need to learn :)

They don't misbehave because the lesson is boring. They misbehave because they choose to when they feel bored.

Tom