1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boring Financial business - but worth checking if with more than one agency

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Just a heads up to check your personal tax account (Gov site) if you are a supply teacher working with more than one agency.
    I checked today and my 'estimated taxable income' was quite considerably higher than usual and discovered they had 'estimated' an additional 11K or so through an agency I haven't worked with for 2+years!

Hopefully will be sorted and usually receive any over the top tax as a rebate during the Summer holidays which can be especially helpful this time of year, when not paid and for example, you have to buy a 'new' used car as happened last year, despite also working full time over the Summer Holiday! Having a different estmate I don't think automatically affects whether you will/have actually paid too much tax but it may affect tax-free earning amount and may adjust figures.

While they're trying to encourage more people to use the online site - and to be fair it does appear to be fairly straightforward, you can still just ring them up and ask them to check too. IF I hadn't done this last year in August/September, I would not have received 2K rebate. Also don't fall for the companies that encourage you toto use them instead as you can just check and claim yourself.

Landofla likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I find the online return site a bit of a nightmare to be honest and still sumbit a paper return. Yes you have to do it earlier but I find it just so much less hassle.

Happyregardless likes this.
  3. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Yes, it whatever works for you in whatever format - was just a reminder to check it, because as I found sometimes they need a bit of a reminder!

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A few years back the online return would crash and lose all your changes and you had to start again.

Anyway I know what I'm doing now so if I have all my stuff I can complete the paper return in an hour.