1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boot School, Shanghai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Oct 25, 2019.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Hi. Looking at a vacancy for an Aug 2020 start at the impermeable boot school in Shanghai. ISR reviews are a mixed bag, but mostly negative. If anyone able to pm me any up-to-date info it would be appreciated. Many thanks.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Have sent you a PM

3. twojabjimmy

twojabjimmy New commenter

Hi. I'm in the same position as spanboy. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Please PM me for ALL the details!

5. hellothisismyusername

hellothisismyusername New commenter

Is the head really as 'interesting' as ISR suggests ? Please PM me too!
    Also interested in the Shanghai branch of the 'bow and arrow'?!

6. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

I would suggest ignoring all ISR, as at least one is from someone with a huge grudge and is totally false

7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Ignore the ISR at your peril, it does give you a basic idea of the organization you will be working for in the future.

claytie likes this.
  8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

it will give you a good laugh, and thats about it in my opinion.

9. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

ISR needs to be contextualised and interpreted (like most things in life). Ask yourself whether the reviews for a particular school reflect a cross section of faculty at the school, or just a particular niche, or particular person ? Do the reviews apply to the type of person that you are? Cross-reference the reviews with first person accounts from your own network.

I recently spent 3 days at a workshop with a colleague who works at the Boot School in Shanghai. Over 3 days I got a fairly good sense of what this colleague was like - a sense of his values. From which I am able to contextualise what he was telling me about his school. It was clear that it would not be the right type of school for me, but sounds like it would be a good fit for many people with whom I have worked over the years. First person accounts just give us better context (& therefore perspective) than the ISR reviews.

T0nyGT and Kulmatie34 like this.
  10. RoadToRags

RoadToRags New commenter

Just to add on to the list of schools to get some first hand reviews on, does anyone have any experience of the DULL school, WHICH is in the east of Shanghai?

11. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I had an interview for that dull school and have met people who know others who work there.
    I think it's just quite an intense place to work. But this is all my own perception and from others anecdotes. I turned down the job because they said they would often work weekends.

RoadToRags likes this.