1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boosting your immune system

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ange_mmm, Feb 27, 2011.

1. I really need to boost my immune system!
    I'm ill again for the fourth time since just before Christmas and royally fed up of it. I have had 3 throat infections and flu with 2 lots of antibiotics. I have always been very healthy up until December. I had a baby last August who I am breastfeeding and I think he is taking all the good stuff from me and leaving me with nothing. He is a big baby and I have now decided to drop one of his feeds for formula to give me a break. My LO sleeps quite well most of the time although this is only wuite a recent development and over Christmas we had a terrible time of it.
    I eat healthily [most of the time] with plenty of fresh fruit and veg. I cook every night and try and make hearty and nutritious dinners. I get lots of excercise and fresh air with the baby and I don't smoke or drink [maybe the odd glass of wine]. I take multivitamins with iron every day and when I am feeling run down I have metatone tonic.
    Can anybody advise anything else I can do? I want to feel healthy again!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Take echinacea for a fortnight. Might help!

3. Breastfeeding will not affect your ability to fight off viral or bacterial infections. If you have had proper flu as opposed to a heavy cold/random virus, it will have clobbered your immune sytem and made it far easier for opportunistic bugs to infect you.
    If your diet is generally good, supplements beyond a multivitamin are likely to be a waste of money. You can't build up your immune system like a muscle. If your body has enough protein, zinc and vitamins, shovelling more in won't make the immune system stronger. Certainly if you've breastfed a big baby for a long time you might want to ensure that you are getting a good supply of nutrients, but any decent A-Z vitamin and mineral pill should be doing that.
    Are you back at work? I find that a new school or even a new year group used to give me at least two terms of sore throats, sniffles, earaches and tummy bugs. It's like a domino rally.
    Perhaps the tiredness associated with having a baby isn't helping. You sound as if you are clued-up about healthy lifestyle and just plain unlucky with the run of infections. I hope the onset of spring and sunshine helps!

4. I did have propper flu over Christmas then a throat infection. I think like you say I have been very unlucky. I'm not back at work but we are frequenting baby groups and there are always germs going round them.
    I'll try the echinacea, thanks.