1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boosting wireless signal in a classroom

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by spartacus123, Oct 10, 2015.

1. spartacus123

spartacus123 Occasional commenter

I do work in different schools. One school I work at has a poor wireless set up. The network is often hard to get onto and it can take ages getting 10 laptops connected.

I have to use my own laptops and I can't alter the router. What I can do is plug something in to either the wired network or turn on my own router.

Is there a way I can basically boost the signal to get the computers to access the network easily?

It's not an issue using wires if need be.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Best answer is to ask their IT technician/manager for help. There are all sorts of reasons why it might be slow, and they will know their system and its foibles. They may also be able to help with configuring your laptops to connect or log in faster.
    Next-best answer is to specify your problem more precisely and to post it on Edugeek.

3. spartacus123

Thanks. However,,,,,it's a small school with 50 kids in. I spend an hour a week in that classroom. They don't have a technician.

I thought I might get a switch. Connect it to the network and then use ethernet cables.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You will need to check that the network setup will talk to it.

5. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

The school must have a budget for maintenance / dealing with problems. No network could function without some kind of support. To be done properly requires competent people to investigate and set it up. Also, the school should have some links with local secondary schools that it feeds or other schools. Ask them to help / ask the Head to speak to their Head.

6. spartacus123

£6 switch from PC world did the trick. Connected 4 laptops to it. Rest had no issues connecting wirelessly.

Because 20 Y1 / Y2 kids and no internet makes a lesson very difficult when it's an online program!!