1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books your y5/6 children love.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon792, May 22, 2011.

1. Any sugestions? Need to update the class library.
    Thanks

2. I had a difficult Year 5/6 class last year but they loved the Anthony Horrowitz books, they really enjoyed the gory/spooky element of them.

3. Boy in a girls bathroom
    Iron giant
    Indian in the cupboard
    Max the boy who made a million
    Still any Roald Dahl
    Street child

Mine are desperate to do some shakespeare after I gave them a brief synopsis of some of the stories - Macbeth othello R and J

4. My top readers enjoy Robert Westall the scarecrow, machine gunners
    House on falling star hill
    The edge chronicles

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Michael Morpurgo of course. Mine also enjoy Antony Horowitz. Anything that's gory, real life stories, detective type stories. I tend to aim my literature towards the boys, no complaints from the girls yet. They are also loving the gore!!

6. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

holes by louis sachar
    freak the mighty
    boy by roald dahl
    the boys liked robert westall books during our ww2 topic
    <strike></strike>

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Morpurgo, esp Private Peaceful.

8. There are quite a few children's authors I actually enjoy reading but I cant say i have ever enjoyed a michael morpurgo book.

I have never met a child who has read one and become enthused by it either!

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Mine love Michael Morpurgo, War Horse is a special favourite at the moment, one of my boys spends most quiet reading sessions in silent tears but refuses to stop reading.

10. My year six class really enjoyed Boom by Mark Haddon.

First time I've ever had a collective moan of 'noooooooooooooooooo' when I stop reading it. I have 23 boys (out of 34) this year so I had to choose carefully...

11. I'll echo Anthony Horowitz.
    Also Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl books), Horrible Histories, Louis Sachar, Cassie Cassidy and Rosie Rushton (for the girls).
    Some of my girls have really got into 'sad' books and have loved crying over Charlotte Sometimes, Goodnight Mr Tom, When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit etc. The boys just don't get it when they come in gushing over how good a book is because it made them cry!

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

- Alex Ryder series
    - Lemony Snicket
    - Narnia
    - Harry Potter
    - Twilight (the more able girls anyway)
    - Diary of a wimpy kid
    - Horrible Histories

13. Thanks, this is brilliant. Any suggestions for LA boys. Any comic style books?

14. My LA boys like to read non fiction as a rule. Things like topgear annual, match of the day magazine etc. Small snippets of writing in them

15. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

My class are reading Stormbreaker at the moment, which they love. I have several copies of the graphic version too for my LA children which means they can access the story independently ( and we can compare and contrast too !)

16. Captain Underpants are a good comic strip type of book, very silly and
    boys love them ! Also, (although not comic style), Mr Stink, The Boy In The Dress and Billionnaire
    Boy by David Walliams are really good reads.

17. My year six class love books and reading. They have especially enjoyed working on texts such as Skellig, The London Eye Mystery, There's a boy in the girls' bathroom and Kensuke's Kingdom, to name a few. Poetry and up-to-date non-fiction texts are popular for quiet reading. You might like to pass a piece of paper round so that the children could suggest titles/authors/genres they are interested in? Picture books such as Window by Jeannie Baker or anything by Anthony Browne are also fantastic for any age-group. Hope some of this is helpful!