1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books you didn't think you'd like but loved?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by sparkleghirl, Nov 10, 2015.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Inspired by Nick909's thread about books you thought you'd like and didn't - the opposite. Which books pleasantly surprised you?

I'll start - Gone with the wind. There's so much more to it than an 'epic' love story.

sabrinakat and peggylu like this.
  2. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Gone with the Wind is a cracking read. In fact, if I can find it, I might just settle down and read it, or start reading it, this afternoon...for at least the twentieth time!

Jane Eyre surprised me. I resisted it for years then when I finally did pick it up I found I couldn't put it down. Completely gripped me.

peggylu and sabrinakat like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Mill on the Floss. I thought it would be hard going but it skipped along. Also, For Whom the bell Tolls which I thought was just plain strange to begin with but I was hooked before long..

peggylu likes this.
  4. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I tried Mill on the Floss but probably wasn't in the right mood at the time as I just couldn't get into it.

A Suitable Boy seemed daunting by its sheer size but I devoured it.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have found a series of thrillers set locally. There were cheap as chips on the Kindle but I have really enjoyed them. They are the Detective Kim Stone series by Angela Marsons.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Jane Eyre.

7. Annarosa1

Annarosa1 Occasional commenter

The Forsyte Saga

peggylu likes this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

9. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

Didn't think I would like The Martian, but I really enjoyed it. And The Poisonwood Bible. It looked long and boring. Yes, it was long, but it was not at all boring!

emerald52 and InkyP like this.
  10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Great Expectations - hated at school, but reread it a few years and saw the humour within.

Same with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie's Poirot - hated when younger, now enjoy.

peggylu and walkingfred like this.
  11. Shaunjoseph

Shaunjoseph New commenter

Thanks for discussing this topic.Actually I really need to know some good books for my 5 years old son.He studies at<a href="http://callingallkidstoo.com/">Best Long Island Preschool</a> He always used to ask me for new books to read as he is very much interested in reading and writing.I want to develop his skills.Now I can suggest him the mentioned books

12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Same here, really enjoyed these

Also... Dombey and Son

13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Love Poirot, more his persona than the plots though.

Love GE, not much Dickens I don't like really and yet when I first started reading him I didn't expect to like many of his books.

14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I liked Bleak House, but couldn't finish Oliver Twist. Reread Wuthering Heights a few months ago - Heathcliff really is a nasty one, isn't he?

15. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Adam Bede. I read it recently, feeling slightly guilty that I hadn't read it before, and found the first few books quite tough. Then it all started to fall apart for poor old Adam and Hetty, and before I knew it I was snorting tears into my tea. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, which is peculiar because I generally like George Eliot - I don't know why I expected not to like it!

16. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

The House of Mirth

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

The Girl with all the Gifts

The Name of the Wind

The Bible (Old Testament)

17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

The Woman in White - I thought I'd have to slog my way through it like most 19th century fiction but I was riveted and stayed up well past my bedtime to find out what happened to Laura! (I did think Walter married the wrong sister though.)

kerensaann likes this.
  18. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Life of Pi.

19. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Of Mice and Men. Am even going to try and get MrF to read it!

20. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I didn't rate Shakespeare at all until Macbeth was inflicted on me as part of English Lit O-level. Now I watch a lot of the plays, especially Macbeth, in all their weird interpretations of the Bard's vision.
    Strangely enough the only one that I liked immediately in the same O-level was Brave New World but I realised that it got pretty tedious after the 4th or 5th reading.