1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BOOKS WITH EXAMPLES OF SIMILES UK

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dawn87, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Hello

I am trying to find a book which uses alot of similes for an interview this week.

My brief was

'a 40 minute Literacy lesson, 30 children year 3/4.. Lesson needs to be based around picture book, fiction or non-fiction. By the end of the lesson, each child will need to have produced their own outcome, of which we would like you to mark three, and present at the formal interview in the afternoon'

HELP!!

(or any other ideas for what I could do would be great!)

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

The only one that jumps to my mind is "The Iron Man" but that's not a picture book. I can't think of any picture books which have lots of similies in.....why does it need similies - is that just your choice?

3. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

You can use My Dad or My Mum by Anthony Browne. Lovely similes and pictures. I think I have one or both of them scanned somewhere and can email to you if you are interested. 40 minutes isn't long to read the book, discuss similes and produce some sort of outcome though! You will probably have to edit the book down to fewer pages. Maybe tell them they are going to produce their own class book (My Family?) and each child has to produce 1 page for the book - a picture of someone in their family with a simile to go with it? If you had more time each child could produce their own folded book.

4. Do you know what?

I think reading books with similes and metaphors in are totally boring!!!!

I want action and pace and a jolly good story!!! Sod the figurative language!! That's for clever clogs or those who want to analyse writing (often the same ...)

Hands up if you agree with me??

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

milgodsitsonhandsashethinksyoucanhaveactionpaceandajollygoodstoryaswellassimilesandmetaphors

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Not similes as such but The Highwayman is full of metaphor. The Oxford University Press print of it has beautiful illustrations by Charles Keeping.
    [​IMG]

It's also got action, pace and story in bucketloads. You can really go to town when reading it aloud, as well.

7. Yes please that would be FANTASTIC if you could kerrytd :)
    Thanks for everyones comments.

If you think it's boring what would u do with the lesson brief??

8. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

Send me your email address and I can email to you!

9. It's lil_chicky@hotmail.co.uk thank you :)

10. haha! Best books I ever read as a child - ones that made me into an avid reader, nose in a book, 9 library books a week, were Enid Blyton's.
    And I were not alone!!
    I'm not going to check but I bet there are no similes or metaphors in them!!!

11. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Youngsters' writing, in my experience, is generally better without the similes.
    I see so many ludicrous ones that I wonder sometimes if the teachers have been praising them for things like "her hair is so shiny, it's like a teacup that's been through the dishwasher three times" - when they're not actually trying for comedy.

12. Best one I heard lately was 'as slow as a snail on crutches....'

If you say 'slower than a snail on crutches' is that still a simile?

13. markuss

I suppose, technically, it's an analogy. Good one (IF trying to be funny!)

14. markuss

Today, I've seen, "When she smiles, her mouth is just like a banana."