1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books to read to KS1 and KS2 class

Discussion in 'Book club' started by hannah1108, Aug 13, 2011.

1. I am starting my PGCE in September and need to choose 2 books to read to a KS1 class and 2 to read to a KS2 class.

So far I have considered for KS1 - The Bad-Tempered Ladybird (with cross curricular links to time and mini beasts/science) and The Snail and the Whale (with rhyming, geographical links, PSHE).

For KS2 I have considered The Secret Garden (possible history links?) and then maybe a Roald Dahl book such as The BFG, mainly for enjoyment but also because of the wonderful language Roald Dahl uses in his books.

If anyone has any suggestions (it is KS2 I am a little unsure of) I would be most grateful! I'm just worried about turning up to my course and having got the wrong end of the stick and setting off of a bad foot!

Thank you!

2. I am starting my PGCE in September and need to choose 2 books to read to a KS1 class and 2 to read to a KS2 class.

So far I have considered for KS1 - The Bad-Tempered Ladybird (with cross curricular links to time and mini beasts/science) and The Snail and the Whale (with rhyming, geographical links, PSHE).

For KS2 I have considered The Secret Garden (possible history links?) and then maybe a Roald Dahl book such as The BFG, mainly for enjoyment but also because of the wonderful language Roald Dahl uses in his books.

If anyone has any suggestions (it is KS2 I am a little unsure of) I would be most grateful! I'm just worried about turning up to my course and having got the wrong end of the stick and setting off of a bad foot!

Thank you!

3. Vianne

Vianne New commenter

I like your choices and think you have linked them to subject areas well.Perhaps consider having a couple of backup books as your KS1 choice is quite a classic and lots of others may have chosen.

4. I'm not a primary teacher but my son has just finished Year 4 and last term the teacher read them this book. They all loved it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Theres-Girls-Bathroom-Louis-Sachar/dp/0747589526/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313564573&sr=8-1

5. thank you both!!