1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books to read for a trainee teacher-to-be (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Joanne2009, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hello,
    Can anyone recommend any good books, for a prospective trainee teacher, to read that cover the whole of the KS2 curriculum? Or, books for individual subjects? I have had a look and there are so many to choose from.
    I am hoping to apply for a PGCE to start Sept 12. I start 2 school placements next week but I want to read some good books throughout the year as it is a LONG time since I left school (I am in my late 30's) and this is a career change for me. I will be asking the teachers at the school where I am going. Hopefully, they will be able to help. I really want to be prepared before Sept 12.

Thanks in advance.
    Joanne

2. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hello,
    Can anyone recommend any good books, for a prospective trainee teacher, to read that cover the whole of the KS2 curriculum? Or, books for individual subjects? I have had a look and there are so many to choose from.
    I am hoping to apply for a PGCE to start Sept 12. I start 2 school placements next week but I want to read some good books throughout the year as it is a LONG time since I left school (I am in my late 30's) and this is a career change for me. I will be asking the teachers at the school where I am going. Hopefully, they will be able to help. I really want to be prepared before Sept 12.

Thanks in advance.
    Joanne

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't read any theory books myself...I didn't when training and don't feel I have lost out at all.

Relax and read lots of 'must read' fiction books, once you start teaching you only get to read in the holidays.

Once you know you have a place on the course then Any books by Sue Cowley are good as are any by Pie Corbett. Also Pimp Your Lesson is a great book. There are lots of books in a series called 'You can...' some are by Sue cowley, but some by other people and all are fab.

But all of the above are really about planning and teaching, so wait until you know you will be a teacher before buying. Amazon has a great shopping basket facility and someone tells me you don't actually have to buy everything you put in there. Can't see that myself!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Echo what minnie said and would only add that it would be a good idea to bring yourself up to date with children's fiction if you're going to do any work related reading at all.
    Your local library will be bursting with good quality new and classic children's fiction; this also means you won't need to spend any money.
    Apart from anything - lots of kids fiction is great. Escapist fun. I read plenty of adult fiction as well, but I do love an occasional, great, kids' book for an easy, fun read in the name of "research"!

Don't waste your money on educational theory books. It is just theory and none of it will prepare you for being a teacher.

5. The others are right in that when you start training you'll be all "theoried out", so don't stress too much about having to know everything before you start. You won't even know everything when you've finished (teaching) - and anyway, at the current rate of change it will all be different again.
    Seriously though, if you really do want to read education stuff you could do worse than to get hold of "How to teach" by Phil Beadle". Readable, practical and common sense.

6. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hi,
    Thanks for posting. I will take all of your advice onboard. Will see how I get on next week.
    Joanne

7. The CGP revision guides are quite good for subject knowledge as a brush up...

:)

8. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

If you'd like to get some ideas of great fiction and non-fiction books, have a look at www.emmarogers.org.uk. There are suggested books on the Engaging texts page as well as a booklist of suggestions from teachers.
    Enjoy your reading, and good luck with the course!