1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books to prepare for primary PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by weaselwithin, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hi everyone, hope you're all having a lovely Christmas break.
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books that you found invaluable or that have helped you the most so far? I'm working this year so hoping to be able to browse some at my leisure before my course starts in Sept!
    Thanks for any help, and good luck to everyone this year

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I've just noticed my post says I've been teaching 4 months, but I'm in my second year. Odd, not sure how that happened!
    Good luck with it all, and remember, your first job will probably be quite different to the PGCE, so if it seems like lots of hard work, stick with it, it does get easier!

3. Thank you both for your help, will be looking up some of these books soon.
    I'm not really worried about swatting up for the assignments, I'm just really looking forward to the PGCE and wanted something light to read on teaching, which might give some general advice just because I'm interested, rather than books which I could actually use next year. I'm really looking forward to the course and wanted to keep my enthusiasm rolling :)
    Thanks again!

4. MrsImpossible - the download looks great! Thank you!

5. Haylock is fab for primary maths! Its been invaluable so far this year as maths is a weaker area for me! Everything is explained nicely and I referred back to it lots on my first teaching practice to make sure I knew what I was teaching!

...... We use 'Reflective Teaching' by Andrew Pollard at uni and its a great read also! Really gets you thinking about yourself as a teacher! ...... I bought so many other books that uni suggested and those are the only two I have used really! Do listen to people who say you don't need to buy books before the course! I bought the QTS skills tests ones and will never look at them as the practice tests were more than enough 'revision' and I passed all three first time, even my dreaded maths! I honestly don't think any of the reading I did before uni was useful ... it all makes so much more sense once you start the course! Enjoy your freedom, get as much R&R as possible and look forward to your PGCE! Its exhausting but worth it! :eek:)

6. I agree with the advice not to bother with the "Achieving QTS" books until you know what you need.

There are however, books you will find useful and interesting, whether or not you ever need to read them for your course.

These are some of the books I have enjoyed reading:

How Children Fail by John Holt
    How Children Learn by John Holt
    The Elephant in the Classroom by Jo Boaler
    Children's Minds by Margaret Donaldson
    Assessment for Learning: Putting it into Practice
    Classroom Behaviour Management by Bill Rogers

Of course, you might not find the same books useful or interesting as I do! I'm working in a school already, and I'm a bit of a maths geek. Just shop around on Amazon and look for things you think you'll enjoy.

7. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Can I heartily recommend, "The Lazy Teacher's Handbook".
    Unlike other books, it's jam-packed with actual teaching ideas and suggestions to try out and focuses of how to get the kids doing the work, not you.