1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books to engage children!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amb204, Sep 17, 2016.

1. amb204

amb204 New commenter

Just wanting opinions on a book you would recommend for a KS1 child, LKS2 child and an UKS2 child - one book for each not one for all three!! Let me know what you think - it's much appreciate!

Thank you :)

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Depends on the child!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Girl/boy?
    Good reader/poor reader?
    Avid reader/reluctant reader?
    Interested in?

To be honest I'd take them to a library and let them choose!

Lara mfl 05 and Camokidmommy like this.
  4. amb204

amb204 New commenter

Thanks for the replies so far, I totally agree with you that it depends but if you had to just blindly pick a book to share with a year group in that key stage to try and engage the children what would you go for?

5. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Try lovereading4kids - they even allow you to download an extract before buying.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Is this for an interview?
    If not then ask the children.

7. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

booksfortopics.com has lists of book suggestions for each year group and each topic - well worth a look!

8. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

Completely agrees with the above comments, it can vary massively depending on the children in the group, -and what you are trying to achieve (beyond just engaging them).

Having said that, something like The Day the Crayons Quit for KS1. For LKS2 and UKS2, anything by Roald Dahl or David Walliams is usually pretty successful. We read The BFG at the end of last year (year 4) and the children loved it. But you also need to make it engaging. If you read any book in a monotone way, even the biggest book lovers will switch off.

Experiment with the books, I love Frank Cottrell Boyce's Millions but my class never got into it.

9. tolkien

tolkien New commenter