1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books that we can't live without!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by teachingking123, Oct 11, 2015.

1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Are there any books you can't live without? Books that you just have to read when a spare moment comes upon us.:)

2. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I couldn't live without my Georgette Heyers even though I don't read them very often now. Some of them are nearly 50 years old and falling to pieces now but I loved them so much during my miserable teenage years - a refuge from real life.

A book that I go back to time and time again is The Siege of Krishnapur - J.G.Farrell

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Any and all of the Terry Pratchetts (but that's just today - ask me again tomorrow)

peggylu likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I love the children's books I have. One or two of my mothers, some of mine and some of my childrens'.I look at them with my granddaughter sometimes and she's beginning to read them. She loves the Shirley Hughes and Pat Hutchins from the 80s and I can't wait to lend her Heidi.

5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

All the works of:
    C Dickens
    A Trollope
    T Pratchett
    J Austen

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Unreliable Memoirs / Falling Towards England - Clive James
    Alice in Wonderland

7. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Jane Austen and Terry Pratchett are my refuges. At one time it was Agatha Christie.

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Pretty much any history by Robert Holmes. No one ever captured the sound of marching boots and the rattle of pack and rifle quite the way he did. And his description of the BEF of 1914 - "Men who had dipped their moustaches in tankards from Dublin to Delhi.". Sheer poetry!