1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

books that make you laugh out loud

Discussion in 'Book club' started by zugthebug, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Whether you like the Flashman stories or not, I always get many giggles out of GMF's three books of semi-autobiographical short stories:- The General danced at Dawn, McAuslan in the Rough and The Sheik and the Dustbin

2. I will second comments about the Alan Carr book; I'm halfway through and I have cried with laughter. It's cheered me up no end.

3. Laurence Sterne, "Tristram Shandy." P*ss-in-your-pants funny.

Anything by Anthony Trollope, but The Barsetshire novels in particular.

A A Milne, "Winnie the Pooh."

peggylu likes this.
  4. Sue Townsend's 'Adrian Mole' series. I got two more for Xmas, and spent yesterday and today gobbling them up. Hilarious!

peggylu likes this.
  5. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Boris Johnson's "The Dream of Rome". Interesting, informative and hilarious - my kinda book.

6. For me it is Time Waster Letters- pure class!!

7. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Know its been said but Alan Carrs book is very, very funny! [​IMG]

8. Any more recommendations?

9. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

Anything by Robert Rankin - the man is an absolutely unhinged genius.
    The Johannes Cabal novels by Jonathan L Howard - very funny, if somewhat misanthropic.
    Carl Hiaasen or his Scots fan, Christopher Brookmyre - both thoroughly chortlesome.
    'Sap Rising' by A A Gill

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Clive James autobiographies - have read them countless times and I still embarrass my husband on the plane / beach because even when I know what's coming I can't stop guffawing madly ! I always take them on holiday as a 'never disappoint ' holiday read . Agree re Stuart. M and Mark Radcliffe equally funny.

11. Bridget Jones' diary. Not a great work of fiction, I know, but the blue string soup had me weeping with laughter

12. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

Book of short stories by Nicola Barker. Can't remember the name of it, or which particular stories, but I do remember finding some of them hilarious.

13. Filth by Irvine Welsh. Dark evil humour at its best, written by a man who was bang on form at the time.

14. Anything by Roddy Doyle.

15. causabon99

causabon99 New commenter

Three Men in a Boat. Jerome K Jerome

sparkleghirl likes this.
  16. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Terry Pratchett...even on rereads, I usually find more than the first time.
    I also enjoyed the Up and Down in the Dales series by Gervaise Phinn (probably because it's about schools).
    What's your name? I asked the child.
    'Tequila,' she replied. I'm named after a drink.'
    'Tequila Sunrise,' I murmured.
    'No,' pouted the child. 'Tequila Braithwaite.'

peggylu likes this.
  17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I agree on Pratchett @galerider123 I will be giving the 'up and down in the dales' a look now too. :)

My list of favourite funnies are:

Diary of a Nobody - Grossmith & Grossmith.

All Discworld books - Terry Pratchett

All Hitchikers - Douglas Adams

Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

All Adrian Mole books - Sue Townsend

All Mapp and Lucia books - E F Benson ( and all the Mapp/Lucia spin off's by other authors)

The Importance of being Earnest &
    Lady Windermere's Fan - Oscar Wilde

Anything at all by David Nobbs

Rivers of London series - Ben Aaronovitch

18. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Anything by Bill Bryson. Colin Pantyshield and Mrs Smegma in 'Notes from a Small Island'..I laughed until I had to visit the toilet. The first bit in 'The Road to Little Dribbling' where he bangs his head is brilliant. I also love his descriptions of kneeing annoying old people in the forehead (it's funny when he says it)!

peggylu likes this.
  19. Crewofmoya

Crewofmoya New commenter

I was reading Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett on the train this summer.I went from smiling to myself to sniggering to full out loud laughing.The ticket collector actually said to me "no book is that funny!"

peggylu likes this.