1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

books that make you laugh out loud

Discussion in 'Book club' started by zugthebug, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Brookmyre, R.D. Wingfield's "Frost" novels, and the sadly forgotten Joyce Porter, whose Inspector Dover novels are possibly the funniest crime fiction in English.

2. Any Rumpole of the Bailey book. God Knows by Joseph Heller (especially if you read the story of King David in the Bible before you read it). Some of Tom Wolfe's journalism - the 'me generation' piece from the 70's for example).

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Aberystwith Mon Amour, Malcolm Price is a bit silly.

4. Anything by Terry Pratchett.
    Flashman books are superb.
    'Round Ireland With a Fridge'. On the same theme, Tony Hawks also wrote 'One Hit Wonderland' - equally hilarious.
    '*** Actually' and Stephen Clarke's other ones.
    And I often re-read 'Adrian Mole' books by Sue Townsend. The early ones are best, but there are good bits in the later ones too.

5. How lovely to meet someone who cried with laughter over the Framley Examiner. So do I. I think it's absolutely hilarious, especially as my partner is a journalist and has made some of those errors.

6. Pratchett, Bryson, but one that stands out for me recently is Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North by Stuart Maconie. It had me laughing out loud for a couple of days on the poolside on holiday last year.

7. Most recently, Paul O'Grady's autobiography had me snorting with laughter, much to hubby's disgust 'Nothing is THAT funny!!'

Bill Bryson and Tom Sharpe ( Porterhouse Blue and Wilt), David Niven's 'The World's a Balloon' made me laugh too.I also love Gervaise Phinn and Frank Chalk has me hooting with laughter (am sure we work at the same school......)

8. Chapter 34 of Joseph O'Connor's Inishowen always has me doubled up with laughter no matter how many times I reread it. He has one of his characters pretend to be President Clinton trying to land a private plane unauthorised in Donegal airport. The conversation between "Clinton" and air traffic control is absolutely hilarious. I was a bit deflated when my OH didn't crack a smile when I had him read it, so I reread it just to check and couldn't stop the tears of laughter running down my cheeks. Has anyone else read it?

9. delenn

delenn New commenter

I love 'Sound of Laughter'. The milk float and the robbery get me everytime. I am getting Dawn French's autobiography for christmas and hope that's as good.

I love pratchett- Reaper man with the Wizards going all gung ho is great

I also love Sue Townsend. I was once in assembly where the DH who had a very deadpan voice read the part from secret diary where Adrian is at a sleep over and measuring his 'thing'. The kids did not get it at all, the staff were in kinks. I ahve grown up with Adrain Molee, he is like an old friend. Also Sue Townsend is the only other person apart from me that I know who failed cycling proficiency test at school as well as numerous driving tests. I just wish I could write like her.

peggylu likes this.
  10. hoglett

hoglett New commenter

A spot of bother - Mark Haddon: very funny!

11. I agree with Danny Wallace 'Yes Man'! And Roald Dahl's 'Boy'. Lately got a bunch of (good but) well depressing books out of the library... I'm going to march off now to try Flashman as it's popped up in this thread time and again.

Yay! Looking forward to some giggling holiday reading...
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font>

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Read that this week, many a chortle was had, the expectation of the drowned body in the canal sub plot to rear its ugly head and not doing, he he. The hiding in a ditch, ha, and more.

13. I have just started reading Alan Carr's autobiography called "Look who it is" and I have to say I have laughed out loud about ten times and that's after only the first chapter. I think you need to find Alan Carr funny in the first place to appreciate the book but I have to say it's hilarious so far!

14. Thank you so much for this thread and the reading ideas - have read all of Pratchett and smirked/snorted and guffawed my way through them in many public situations....so it is lovely to have some new ideas!

I remember "Bring on the Empty Horses" one of David Niven's autobiographies with fondness and a tear in the eye!

Happy Christmas reading all.

15. " A Walk in the Woods" - Bill Bryson

16. Can you keep a secret? by Sophie Kinsella. I also loved her shopaholic books for some light reading, but Can you keep a secret is hilarious.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

I love Flashman so much I can read the books over and over again.Fraser's dead, so there won't be any more wicked fun from that source.

Janet Evanovitch - every on of her Stephanie Plum books had me in stitches.
    Just William
    If they count as books, Gilbert Shelton's Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers cartoons

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Metzger's Dog, by Thomas Perry. A very funny thriller.

19. Both of the Billy Connolly biographies by Pamela Stevenson-Connolly. Some dark moments as she writes about his earlier life and childhood but they are wonderful for giving me a good giggle. You need a box of tissues to get you through the dark bits and to mop up the tears of laughter too.

20. Brilliant books, and very sad as well in parts, Billy need his humour to get over the early years i think!

Another writer who always makes me laugh is Tom Sharpe the writer of the Wilt series and many great others like Blot on the Landscape!