1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

books that make you laugh out loud

Discussion in 'Book club' started by zugthebug, Feb 24, 2006.

1. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Most books just make me smile, but I often laugh out loud at Bill Bryson, also some bits of Douglas Adams and John O'Farrell. The early parts of "Things can only get better" had me in stitches. It reminded me of being a teenager in the 80s, and being in a local CND group - so much of what he said rang true, especially the embarrassment of the "die-ins".

2. I'd agree with cariad, I tend to smile rather than laugh out loud, and I have to say it's a very rare book that I find funny. However, JL Carr's The Harpole Report has probably come the closest to disturbing my companions on the train. I'd agree with the pineapple scene from Three Men in a Boat, which is closely rivalled by the cricket match from England, Their England (the rest of the books was not to the same standard). I also read the Complete Yes Minister diaries a while ago, and found them as funny as the original TV series.

Aside from that, not a lot. Most of my laughs seem to come from the radio, and I will really miss Humphrey Lyttelton, as I'm not sure where I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue will go from here.

3. "Cold Comfort Farm" always makes me giggle, as do lots of PG Wodehouse. Tom Sharpe's classics are hilarious, Roddy Doyle - especially "The Van", and Bryson, of course.

4. Got strange looks from my class during a library lesson when I was reading "Boy" by Roald Dahl & burst out laughing at the "Goats' Tobacco" chapter, so then I had to read it aloud to them, then we had to read it as a class reader. Also, as mentioned on another thread, the scorpions in a matchbox incident from "My Family and other Animals" by Gerald Durrell. Great thread, by the way.

5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I can't believe there are so few mentions for Tom Sharpe on a LOL thread.

Pratchett? I've read far more of, and they are funny, but not as funny, though they are more satirical I'd say.

6. The papers of A.J. Wentworth by H.F.Ellis is the funniest book I have ever read.
    P.G. Wodehouse has also made me laugh a little audibly.

7. Oh yes, I'd forgotten Wodehouse! "Code of the Woosters" is hilarious.

8. I loved Down Under by Bill Bryson. I really wanted to read something funny. I am not a native speaker of English but have a good command of it, I think. I am reading Flashman and the Dragon and I LOVE IT!!!
    Thanks for the suggestions!

9. David Nicholls 'Starter for ten' and 'The understudy'
    I certainly chuckled during the reading of these two books!!

10. Stephen Fry's 'The Liar'. Also agree with Clive James (any), Lucky Jim and Christopher Brookmyre (only the first one - the others are weakly-plotted and poor imitations). Also *shame* Jeremy Clarkson.

11. Terry Pratchett!

I got told off on a train for laughing too loudly!

There's me in a smart suit looking all respectable and peeing myself laughing at Guard Guards.

I SWEAR I didnt realise I was laughing out loud

peggylu likes this.
  12. "I capture the Castle"
    The part where they are mistaken for a bear! that had me laughing out loud.

13. Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen makes me laugh out loud even when I read it over. His other books do that too but that one is the best.

Also E by Matt Beaumont and Who moved my Blackberry? by Martin Lukes are hilarious. E is better though.

The best one I read recently is Marley and Me - live and love with the world's worst dog - by John Grogan. The dog is a nightmare to live with but adorable!

14. Flashman and the Dragon - the bit where Lord Elgin asks Flashy if he can get hold of some Trollope for him...

15. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
    Scoop by Evelyn Waugh

16. Tony Hawkins, 'Round Ireland with a fridge' it's hilarious!

17. P.G.Wodehouse - anything to do with Blandings and just the name 'Threepwood' is enough for a smirk.

I must dig them out again....so very funny.

18. Tom Sharpe is hilarious - for those who don't already know this, check out Wilt, Porterhouse Blue, The Throwback, The Wilt Alternative, Riotous Assembly ...

19. Agree with Bryson and Pratchett and the Peter Kay autobiography. Having enjoyed "Yes Man" and "Join Me" I read Danny Wallace's latest "Friends Like These" which was hilarious.

20. Thank so much for the feedback! Have just refound this thread after searching for a post. i'm so glad you liked it! [​IMG]