1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

books that make you laugh out loud

Discussion in 'Book club' started by zugthebug, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Round Ireland With A Fridge!!!

2. Got kicked out of the library when I was at school for laughing so loudly at the bit in Lucky Jim where he discovers he has burned the blanket and tries to remedy the situation. Also - kicked out again - the bit in Brideshead revisited where the gay bloke is declaiming through a loud hailer.
    Best Bill Bryson bit I can remember is where he is recounting the number of accidents caused by household items such as tea cosies and pillows.

3. Bill Bryson. Every novel, especially when he's faced with surfing in Australia, and newly-arrived in the UK. Who doesn't want to be remembered for wearing underpants on their head to keep out the cold, eh?

Recently Stephen Clarke's ***** Actually caused a few giggles and chortles too. And Googlewhack by Dave Gorman (yes, THE Dave Gorman) did funny things to my funny bones too.

Not read any Terry Pratchet but it seems like he's the comedic writer I'm supposed to discover next - I prefer books which make me laugh and think as opposed to sad.

Ohh, read Tis too, the sequel to Angela's Ashes and found that laughably smashing.

Is it my imagination or don't they have humourous authors in the Classics? Ah, well, apart from Twain. Who else?

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Long time since I read them, but anything by Tom Sharpe. Also Bill Bryson.

5. Glad to see there's another Flashman fan here- if you haven't read these books do yourself a favour- GMF is a SUPERB writer.

6. Are You Dave Gorman?

(That's not a question if anyone's feeling like answering!)

7. Berringden Brow: Memoirs of a single parent with a crush by Jill Robinson. It's like the diary of Bridget Jones's older (and poorer sister). Also has a good sequel in Sons & Lodgers.

8. Agree with Raffles 555, 'Are you Dave Gorman?' made me cry with laughter as did 'Googlewhack Adventure'.

I thoroughly enjoyed Danny Wallace's 'Join Me' and 'The Yes Man' (especially the bit about 'shelf adventure'!).

9. Terry Pratchett of course, Bill Bryson, Alan Bennett and P J O'Rourke is really funny.

10. Wilt by Tom Sharpe I found hilarious.

11. Spike Milligan's war memoirs (including the last one 'Peace Work')

Pratchett

Some (but not all) James Thurber

12. Yes, I agree with the Spike Milligan books. His 'rendition' of the so-called classics is hilarious.

Also, parts of 'McCarthy's Bar' by Pat McCarthy had me laughing like a hyena (no mean feat).

13. M79

M79

Try Christopher Brookmyre. Witty, sharp, satirical and generally f***ing hilarious.

14. Though I'd bump that one! Any others to add to the list?

15. Grumpy Old Men by Stuart Prebble, which I thought was much funnier than the BBC series on which it was based, or maybe I just prefer reading.

16. The Giles Wareing Haters' Club by Tim Dowling made me laugh a lot. Certain bits of High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.

17. Most Terry Pratchett books, especially Hogfather.

peggylu likes this.
  18. I would have to add James Herriot and Gervase Phinn :)

19. Yes Man by Danny Wallace was really funny and the sort of book that I had to keep reading bits out to people (annoying I know!). It also made me say Yes to more of life's opportunities!

The Bible According to Spike Milligan. This was one of my Dad's favourite books and I read it when I was about eleven and thought it was hilarious! Even funnier now i'm older!

20. Buddha of Suburbia

White Teeth