1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

books that make you laugh out loud

Discussion in 'Book club' started by zugthebug, Feb 24, 2006.

1. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Terry Pratchet every time, reading the latest one on the train I laughed out loud and received strange stares from the other passengers!

peggylu likes this.
  2. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Terry Pratchet every time, reading the latest one on the train I laughed out loud and received strange stares from the other passengers!

3. Some of Bill Bryson's writing and parts of the book, McCarthy's Bar.

4. Clive James Unreliable Memoirs
    Flashman books by Fraser

5. God Knows by Joseph Heller.

6. 101 uses for a dead cat
    (I am a cat lover)

7. Jenny Colgan books - especially 'Looking for Andrew McCarthy'

8. Charlie Brooker's TV Go home, The Framley Examiner book, Douglas Adams' The Meaning of Liff along with some Terry Pratchett and Bill Bryson.

9. lfb

lfb

I actually cried with laughter the first time I read the Framley Examiner!

10. 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt. Made me cry too though!

11. Admin Princess

Admin Princess New commenter

Agree with many of the above - Bill Bryson, Meaning of Liff, Unreliable Memoirs - and would add Alan Bennett's "Writing Home" (and others) and Frank Skinner's autobigraphy.

12. Flashman - I was in hysterics the first time I read this. George MacDonald Fraser has now written 12 books in that series and has shown no marked decline in humour or style. Anyone after a humorous take on the Victorian age should read them.
    Peter Moore's travelogues are also highly amusing, much funnier than Bill Bryson.

13. Definately have to agree with Terry Pratchett. Also some of the hitchhiker guides to the galaxy. I cant think of much else though, very slight chuckles but not proper laughter

peggylu likes this.
  14. Agree about 'Angela's ashes' I was on a coach journey reading it, and kept bursting out laughing. I think the other people thought I was mad!

Funnily enough the fIlm didn't make me laugh at all.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" novels.

16. Terry Pratchett for sure and also Jerome.K.Jerome's Three men in a boat.
    The scene with the tin of pineapple that they can't open always sends me into fits of giggles!

17. If you like Terry Pratchett books, I'd suggest any books from HUGH COOK'S Chronicle of Dakness range, erspecially "The Walrus and the Warwolf" (however, the comedy in them is pretty dark). ROBERT RANKIN is a good author for DOUGLAS ADAMS fans, try "Raiders of the Lost Car Park".

I've just finished T. C. BOYLE's "Water Music" which is very funny and extremely good.

But people listen to me, please. There is a book which for some reason has been omitted from this strand. If you haven't read it, go out and buy JOHN KENNEDY TOOLE's "A Confederacy of Dunces" today. Right now. Don't even think about it, just purchase a copy as soon as you can. It is possibly the funniest book ever written, and I guarantee anyone they won't be disappointed with it.

18. Love Bill Bryson - many a strange look from people when I've been reading one of his books in public!

x

19. Framley Examiner is hilarious...India Knight's 'The Shops' made me snort rather loudly with laughter on a crowded bus. I've heard Jeremy Clarkson's book is very funny too??

20. Just remembered...it's not a book but 8 out of 10 cats is the funniest programme I've ever seen. The sort of jokes that aren't funny when you repeat them, but the way the tell them is just so good.