1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books teachers should read?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Dec 22, 2015.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Since I became a teacher I no longer have time to read and anyway my concentration span is so short now I'm not sure I .........

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I've only read Treasure Island out of the list. It's my policy to read the books the students are reading, so that involves many pleasant visits to the school library to exchange pleasantries with the librarians (who are usually generally ignored unless someone wants to dump a class in there) and borrowing books, discussing books and sometimes being asked for one's opinion on age suitability too.

Some kids' books are great reads. And it means being able to recommend books to students who you know are reluctant readers.

Vince_Ulam and cuteinpuce like this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What a joyless list.

cuteinpuce and lanokia like this.
  5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I've read three
    And of them your choice and Hard Times were the only ones I'd recommend

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh dear... another pseudo-intellectual list... ask people for a list of books they'd recommend and it's always the worthy ones.

Treasure Island is the only one smacking of honesty. Not a Jack Reacher among them ha! ;)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Even Treasure Island is worthy. In fifty years time people will still be recommending it rather than confess they actually enjoyed the Wimpy Kid books more.

8. Didactylos4

I dread the day when Pratchett stories become "worthy"

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

[​IMG]

He should have been the one who said Treasure Island. Yaarr!!!

10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Oh, dear - I rather like the whimsy within the Pratchett books.

As for the list above, i've read Hard Times, none of the others. However, books that should be read by everyone is far more interesting:

(in no particular order):

To Kill a Mockingbird
    Catcher in the Rye
    Great Expectations
    Emma
    North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell)
    The Great Gatsby
    Rebecca
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Probably many more, especially more modern texts
    (I could give an even longer list for non-fiction!)

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A few years ago I decided to read more 'classic' books, and Treasure Island was the most disappointing of all of the titles I've read so far. It reminded me of those Tom Baker Dr Who epsiodes where the script writers used to fill in a spare five minutes by making them run aimlessly round corridors before being recaptured by the space villain.

I wouldn't give up what little spare time I had outside the teaching day to reading books on Education.

12. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

If all the other stuff isn't enough to put you off teaching, that list sure would do! I've just bought a new copy of 'Frog and Toad are friends' by Arnold Lobel and 'The little grey men go down the bright stream' by BB. For no other reason than I like them.

13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Larry Flanagan's the only person there who passes the Pie, Peas & Pint test. Arguably the only person there.

14. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

All teachers should read

The Harpole Report by J L Carr - simply the best, funniest and truest book about how schools work ever written.

The Teachers by G W Target, which was, in about 1966, the subject of a motion of censure at the NUT conference - in itself a good recommendation, you may feel.

15. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I have only read 'Treasure Island', but I do own a copy of 'Hard Times'. Does this count?
    I agree Sabrinakat. I did English at university and I have read a lot worse than Pratchett.

16. Didactylos4

So do I hence my somewhat tongue in cheek comment :)

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What sort of arrogant Pollock recommends a book that teachers should read?

cissy3 likes this.
  18. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I haven't read any of those, but having seen how dull-sounding and academic the list mostly is, I don't feel bad about it. I will go back to my historical books, my fantasy and my Sci-fi without any guilt.

lanokia likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

Sillow likes this.
  20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

'Treasure Island' and 'Hard Times' is what I also thought straight away.

Particularly 'Treasure Island'.