1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books set in China/Chinese families with patterned/repeated language?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by CloakandWings, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone know of such a book?
    We are doing a topic on China and need it to fit with the literacy 'stories from a range of cultures' unit. The books used are supposed to have patterned or repeated language. Just wondering if anyone can help with book suggestions?
    Thanks, C x

2. Does anyone know of such a book?
    We are doing a topic on China and need it to fit with the literacy 'stories from a range of cultures' unit. The books used are supposed to have patterned or repeated language. Just wondering if anyone can help with book suggestions?
    Thanks, C x

3. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Don't know if you'll be able to get hold of it very easily, but there's a story called, "Tikki Tikki Tembo" that will fit the bill exactly. It was read to me as a child, and I have just read it to my son for the first time this evening. I can't tell you the Author's name as the book is in his room and he's sleeping, but I'll get back to you with it if you like!

LizzieTish X

4. sadika

sadika New commenter

5. sadika

sadika New commenter

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's sad, in a way, that we try to make thee utterly unnatural connectrions. We might wend up with a worse story and no better introduction to patterned or repeated language. If I were doing a topic on China, I would choose the best stories I could find and relegate the patterned stuff to somewhere else. Lovely though topic-planning can be, this is one of its main drawbacks.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

EEK! I missed the edit time limit. and was typing fast because I was cooking. [​IMG]

8. I have a traditional tale called The Seven Chinese Brothers.It's a bit sophisticated for the youngest in EY but there is a familiar thread running through , the repetitive noise that the Emperor makes (I think). I was read this at primary school and have loved it ever since.