1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books on Programming (VB.Net)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by A_Teacher_Of_Computing, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I've been given the chance to order some of those nice papery things for the school library, with an upper limit of £35 per book. I know there are a lot of useful websites out there but some students really learn much faster when guided with a good book (it helps stop them being distracted on the internet when working at home).

The main language we teach at GCSE and A-Level is VB.Net, and we will hopefully be upgrading to the 2010 pro IDE next year.

Does anyone have any experience with the John Smiley absolute beginner books?

Is there really such a thing as a 'Programming Games in VB.Net' book that is actually worth the money?

Is anyone already using books they can recommend?

At the moment they are using a book written by myself (still needs a little work before I add it to the resources section), the bumper book of fun (posted on here before xmas) and the 'Computing Projects in Visual Basic.net (a little out of date).

2. I've been given the chance to order some of those nice papery things for the school library, with an upper limit of £35 per book. I know there are a lot of useful websites out there but some students really learn much faster when guided with a good book (it helps stop them being distracted on the internet when working at home).

The main language we teach at GCSE and A-Level is VB.Net, and we will hopefully be upgrading to the 2010 pro IDE next year.

Does anyone have any experience with the John Smiley absolute beginner books?

Is there really such a thing as a 'Programming Games in VB.Net' book that is actually worth the money?

Is anyone already using books they can recommend?

At the moment they are using a book written by myself (still needs a little work before I add it to the resources section), the bumper book of fun (posted on here before xmas) and the 'Computing Projects in Visual Basic.net (a little out of date).

3. When I'm looking for a book on something I always have a look at the pirate copies on the p2p networks, or on torrents. There are usually pdf copies of most things there. It allows me to read the books for suitability without having to go somewhere like Foyles in London to check them out. I do buy the books later (!)
    Probably not. The problem with VB.Net, is that Microsoft pushed all their games development (XNA) via C#. It can be made to work, obviously, because it's just syntactic wash, but most things are targeted via C# including all Microsoft's tutorials.
    XNA is also quite complex, what you probably want is a simple set of wrappers on top of it and 2D Sprite Libraries to start with. These probably exist, and may well have tutorials, (there's certainly an XNA VB Tutorial) but there's unlikely to be books available.

4. I'm happy to point out this is still illegal! Convenience is definitely not an argument for piracy...

5. It depends how you do it. It is a long trip for me to look in some of the bookstores in Charing Cross, and Heffers in Cambridge isn't half the bookstore it used to be. It is a way of assessing the books without actually having to buy them. If I use the book, i buy it. I hate reading books on screen.
    It is really no different morally to Amazon's policy whereby you can read the contents and a few pages of many of their books on line.
    If I printed the book out rather than buying it you would be correct.

6. Well what you may think it is morally is not what it is legally, which is copyright infringement.

Admittedly I would say (unlike the DVD piracy advert) I don't equate this with stealing a handbag.

7. God Spinnach,
    You are such a total Nob!
    The Wood, the Trees - ponder.