1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books made into movies

Discussion in 'English' started by rtay, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm planning stories with familiar settings for Y3/4 at the moment and I'm looking for a scene in a movie to compare with the description that has been written in the book. Any suggestions? (I prefer not to use Harry Potter.) Thank you.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Would you use The Princess Bride for "familiar" settings?

3. The opening of the film is certainly familiar. Sick boy in bed, grandpa wants to read to him, he hates reading/books etc. The themes of true love/revenge/adventure/friendship are all there as well. I have taught Great Expectations using extracts from the novel and comparing them with David Lean's brilliant version. This works well and surprisingly, the b/w of the film does not put students off.

4. Thanks ACOYEAR8 will check that out! Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, Msz. Was looking for a scence in a movie where it's described in the novel. Doesn't need to be a movie that has familiar settings all the way through.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would agree with ACOYEAR8 that Great Expectations fits "familiar setting" but I would put the others firmly in fantasy.

6. Any thoughts on Matilda or The Secret Garden??

7. All the Dahl stories/films are an excellent resource. What about looking at different versions of Charlie and the Chocolate factory?? Maybe focus on the way he describes some of the children?

8. Hello
    Witches and James and the Giant Peach come to mind. And Babe, Nanny McPhee and Mary Poppins. . . You could also maybe look at the Gruffalo but it may be too simple maybe?

9. The Sheep-Pig/ Babe is a rural setting. But I notice, 2003, a Headteacher banned books about pigs so as not to "offend Muslims.

10. manc

manc New commenter

'Movies'???
    Are we living in the USA?

Thought not.

11. manc

manc New commenter

Does that headteacher think that Muslims don't believe in the existence of pigs?

12. Matilida is a good one and ther is also James and the Giant Peach. R. Dahl is a brilliant example to teach from.

13. Varmints - Brilliant book and I think the film is only 30 mins long.

14. Carrie's War
    The Railway Children
    Goodnight Mister Tom
    The Dark is Rising

15. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

Charlotte's web, although it also has pigs in it.

16. manc

manc New commenter

Hello, everyone.

17. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Alice in Wonderland & Alice Through the Looking Glass.
    You have the Disney & Tim Burton films to compare, plus the way that they (Tim Burton's in particular) mix up elements of both books.

18. You could look up some of the Jane Austen videos and compare it to the books. There is a big difference in most of them. Some of the Kenneth Branagh scripts of his Shakespeare videos. Compare that to the real Shakespeare scripts. I've done that with my students and they love picking it apart.

19. Freak the Mighty by W R Philbrick... Great book with great themes and the movie is a tearjerker, I've always had huge success with it!