1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books involving a 'magic' change to teach prior to KS1 SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I've just returned from the educational library feeling a little stuck. We will be doing the KS1 writing SAT that involves finding a magic pebble and going on an adventure towards the end of this half term, and I am looking for a good book to base some teaching of adventure stories on. All I can think of are the magic key stories.
    Does anybody know of any really good stories for teaching this style of adventure story? The majority of children's books now either focus heavily on rhyme or don't seem to follow the format of character finding a magical item and going off on an adventure.

Thankyou in advance

2. I've just returned from the educational library feeling a little stuck. We will be doing the KS1 writing SAT that involves finding a magic pebble and going on an adventure towards the end of this half term, and I am looking for a good book to base some teaching of adventure stories on. All I can think of are the magic key stories.
    Does anybody know of any really good stories for teaching this style of adventure story? The majority of children's books now either focus heavily on rhyme or don't seem to follow the format of character finding a magical item and going off on an adventure.

Thankyou in advance

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nopes, but I'd like to know one as well, so thought I'd answer in order to bump the thread to the top! :)

4. Don't know any particular books, but try 'story ending: underwater' in my resources. I have others and if that one is any use let me know and I'll upload them when I get back.

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Nothing wrong with the magic key stories: lots of different settings, you can analyse what the problem was (there usually is one) and how the children solve it, and they're short enough to read a couple in each lesson so that you can compare and contrast them.
    William's Wellingtons are also nice little stories, but I'm not sure if they're still in print.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is brilliant, or at least it is for me and fits with the seaside topic we are starting! Thank you so much.

Others would be great, but it seems a real cheek to ask.

7. Maybe you could make up your own story. That way you could involve people and places that are known to the children which might add some extra interest.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

You could look at traditional tales eg Aladdin (finding a genie in a lamp), and another story from 1,001 Nights (I can't remember which one) features a magic carpet.
    "5 Children and It" and "The Phoenix and the Carpet" by E. Nesbit feature a wish-granting psammead (sand fairy) in the former, and a magic carpet in the latter. They're probably too wordy for Year 2, but you could precis them.
    "Half-Magic" and "Magic by the Lake" by Edward Eager also feature magical adventures.

9. Maybe you could look at episodes of 'Magic Grandad'.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There's a book called ? and the wishing stone

11. NQT to be

NQT to be New commenter

The Magic Bed by John burningham works well.

12. NQT to be

NQT to be New commenter

I used this a couple of years ago.

13. We have used Magic Tree House stories and a Rigby Star guided reading book called The Magic Jigsaw. We also looked at the Mr Benn TV programmes.

14. Thankyou all for your ideas - you've been a great help!
    I've ordered "Eric and the wishing stone" and the first 3 "Magic Treehouse" stories from Amazon. I'll base my Literacy unit about whichever I feel is written in the best style and share the others in storytime.

15. Not a book but you could watch episodes of Mr Benn. We have used these in Year 1 for our fantasy stories topic. the children love watching the cartoon and it helps them really get to grips with the theme. There are some episodes on YouTube or you can order the DVD from Amazon.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Mr Benn is a series of books by David McKee (Elmer)[​IMG]

17. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I really hadn't considered teaching this before the sat?! And adventure stories isn't on my schools rolling prog this year...hmmm....

18. We do George's Marvellous Medicine as our extended story unit and talk about what other changes the medicine could have made.

Love the idea of scattering the pebbles Singora!

19. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Read first magic tree house story before Easter - kids loved it. I know them from my own son 10 years ago. Building them into guided reading too. Collected 30 pebbles on beach yesterday. All different colours, shapes and they are going to take one home for talk for writing.

20. My magic treehouse and eric and wishing stone books have arrived - im quite looking forward to reading them!!