1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books for year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Yahtzee21, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Yahtzee21

Yahtzee21 New commenter

I want to start reading a class novel with my year 6s... Anybody have any recommendations?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Too many suggestions. So how to narrow it down?

How many weeks/lessons can you give to the novel? Are you just going to read it to them, or really study it, trying to incorporate some of your grammar objectives into it?

How able at reading are your class?

Then maybe we can suggest some suitable choices?

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agree with Lara. Suggestions I can offer are numerous. Is the novel to be linked to any specific area of study?

4. Yahtzee21

Yahtzee21 New commenter

We are learning about Ancient Greece however I wasn't necessarily planning to link to a topic or a theme. Maybe could do some reading lessons on it but really I just wanted something that will engage them. Something to encourage a love for reading and a five minute escapism session every day away from anything SATs related (this sounds very cynical I know!) Obviously something "well written" with ambitious vocab in it etc wouldn't hurt.
    Any inspirations would be welcome

5. Yahtzee21

Yahtzee21 New commenter

Ability-wise: most of them are reading at or above an old 4c (with a few exceptions)

6. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

Percy Jackson would link well with the Greeks.

7. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Skelig
    Millions
    Once
    Rooftoppers
    Private Peaceful
    Look at the book trust site. They have a section on must read books for different age ranges. Lots of good discussions to be had.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask some of the more reluctant readers which books they would like to be able to read. Some of the most reluctant readers would love to have the 'in books' read to them because then they can join in chatter with their more avid reader friends.

To engage your class, you need a book that you love and can be enthusiastic about. I tried to read Michael Morpurgo's When the Whales Came to a year 5/6 class once. (It was quite an 'in book' at the time with worthy teachers. After about 5 chapters I had to give it up because it bored me rigid. Several children finished it themselves, but I still feel a bit guilty about those I put off. It would have been better not to start. Use half term to go to a bookshop and find one you like the look of.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

... or a library - rather cheaper, and in our county you can borrow a dozen books at a time.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good points there caterpillartobutterfly. Years ago I tried reading 'Watership Down' to a year 6 class. It's a beautiful story but just very difficult to read aloud as the story moves quite slowly.

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

If you want to get them really enthusiastic about a book, try 'Granny' by Anthony Horowitz. My class were actually asking if it was 'time for the novel yet'!!!!!

12. luffenham

luffenham New commenter

Agree completely - we've just finished it - they loved it (and so do I!)

13. son1bun

son1bun New commenter

14. son1bun

son1bun New commenter

They have nursery and reception as well.

A useful start I think..can discuss and add to it.

15. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter