1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books for Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smkhan04, Jul 17, 2016.

1. smkhan04

smkhan04 New commenter

Hi everyone. So I am teaching Year 3 in September and am allowed to choose a book to do work on for a week and make a large display on. I want to steer clear of Roald Dahl as I feel that it has been done to death in schools and want to introduce the kids to other authors. Preferably something that will produce a nice display, lend to a good writing task. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

2. Clance

Clance New commenter

I really liked working on Ted Hughes - The Iron Man in Year 3.

Great book. Lots of writing opportunities, (eg. diaries, predictions, descriptions, chapter retells, suspense), boys love robots (helps draw them in to writing), great discussions, and you can possibly make a 3D robot display with the kids.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Dick King-Smith has lots of books suitable for that age range- my favourite being Hodgeheg, about a family of hedgehogs and learning to cross the road/follow rules /aspirations /becoming a hero . . .

Charlotte's web by E B White is another popular choice.

ViolaClef likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, also Dick King-Smith's Saddlebottom - story about a pig who is the odd-one-out of the litter and how he triumphs over adversity.

5. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I know you don't want Roald Dahl, but last year's year 3 with me (All boys) loved James and the Giant Peach more than any of their other books.

Except maybe Macbeth which they also found fab. And, surprisingly Richard III...think they liked all the death and dying! Both short children's versions so would easily suit a week of work (and look good to parents who like to show off that their child is studying Shakespeare in year 3!)
    Marcia Williams versions

7. Lara mfl 05

If you go for the Shakespeare I can recommend the Marcia Williams versions, done in comic book style.
    James & Giant Peach is a good choice I agree.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

The link I gave was to the Marcia Williams 'chapter book' range, which are easier to use in a class novel kind of way. Though I agree the comic book styles are good for children's own reading.

I like the Orchard Myths versions for KS1, but Marcia Williams adds in some quotes from the originals which is good for the older ones.

9. Lara mfl 05

Haven't come across those myself before.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL Glad it isn't just me Lara, they are new to me this year.

I wasn't sure at first, having loved the Orchard Myths ones for years, but I think they are possibly better for KS2.

11. intime

intime New commenter

Ice Palace is great around winter time

bwilliams5 likes this.
  12. princess77

princess77 New commenter

At the start of Year 3 we look at books by Anthony Browne. A good stimulus for writing and surreal art. We link visits to one of the books as well.

13. Amybella

Amybella New commenter

My Year 3s loved Charlie Small, Gorilla City. It's exciting, has super language at their level and ends on a cliff hanger, which is perfect for them to then write the sequel (or at least the next chapter!)

14. Lara mfl 05

If you look at the Stone Age there's a lovely set of Books about a Stone Age boy called Littlenose and his pet mammoth, which my Year 3s used to love.

15. tolkien

tolkien New commenter