1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books for teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pompski_boy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm an NQT and am going to be teaching year 4 in September.
    Has anyone got any recommendations for essential books to have in the classroom to help me with lesson planning, activities, writing models etc? I've got Maths on Target and a couple of Scholastic books but thats about it.
    Thanks!

2. Hi, I'm an NQT and am going to be teaching year 4 in September.
    Has anyone got any recommendations for essential books to have in the classroom to help me with lesson planning, activities, writing models etc? I've got Maths on Target and a couple of Scholastic books but thats about it.
    Thanks!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Pie Corbett's Jumpstart books are full of excellent ideas for many subjects.

Getting the *** to Think and Getting the *** to be Creative, think they are Sue Cowley are also full of great ideas.

I also got lots of good ideas for setting up my classroom (in several schools and years) from You Can Have A Calm Classroom, also Sue Cowley I think. I've just bought the KS1 copy since I am moving there this Sept.

My current very favourite is Pimp Your Lesson. Ignore the fact it is about sorting a lesson for observation, and just nick all the ideas for your regular lessons!

Don't waste money on the stupid 100 lessons for this or that. Nor on year 4 perfect lesson plans type nonsense. None will have been written with your class in mind, so will be no use. Trust your own judgement and get resources from the TES resources section! Anything you don't understand/are stuck on, ask on here!

4. How To Be An Outstanding Primary Teacher by David Dunn only came out a couple of months ago and it is very good. It has chapters on planning, assessment, behaviour, learning intentions, communicating with parents etc. The Classroom Gems series of books are also very good and there is one for the primary school specifically which gives you sections on all curricular areas. You can also get ones that just cover language, maths, PE etc. so you get more information and ideas in the specific area you might be looking for. Amazon lets you look inside these books so you can see what they are like.

5. Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice.