1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books for SEN interview too young??

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Genie89, May 16, 2019.

1. Genie89

Genie89 New commenter

Hi everyone

I am really excited as have just found out i have an interview at a fantastic SEN school next week. I have been asked to read a story to a group of 9 children aged 9-11 (p4-p8) with sever learning difficulties. This is my first SEN interview.

I was thinking of "We are going on a Bear Hunt" (Yes i know, it's been done to death and I can hear the groans from here. BUT my rational thinking is that it is a story i know very well, a story the kids are probably familiar with, and it lends itself nicely to sensory experiences, blowing bubbles, footprints, twigs snapping etc)

My question is......... is this to "young" a story for 9-11 year olds? I'm very conscious not to treat them like babies, but then i equally don't want to read a book that isn't pitched to their level.
    Am i over-thinking this or do i have a point?

Thanks xxxxxx

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Sorry but yes, you do have a point. And it will be very hard if not impossible to impress the observers using that text. They will have seen it done in every way possible, the students just may enjoy it, but they may think you are patronising them. Although bubbles, twigs and footprints may work as a starting point.

And done-to-death doesn't even begin to cover it. Think maybe half a terms work on the book at least every other year of their school life, every year of pre school plus once every time they get an interview candidate. It would have been fun the first few times....

There are loads of other books and stories that have just as much sensory fun in them that are much more age appropriate.
    Are you required to read a story or share a story? Could it be a poem? How long will you have? Do you know any simple short stories aimed at older children (eg a short folk tale or similar? )

3. dzil

4. emily1991

emily1991 New commenter

I've had this problem too got an interview tomorrow (wondering now if it's at the same place??) Found a book but coming from primary particularly juniors I'm now wondering if mine isn't sensory enough. Was going to read to/with them signing and then focus on feelings and inference questions

5. dzil

Emily, (and Genie) feel free to PM me if you want some advice on your book. I don't want to reply or support on a public forum as I know it's read by interviewers and other candidates!

6. dzil

7. Genie89

Genie89 New commenter

Thank you Dzil, I can't figure out a way to contact you privately. I had already decided to not use Bear Hunt because it didn't feel right. I toyed with the idea of a fairy tale/ traditional tale but the story should take no longer than 10 minutes. I have found one of my daughters books called "Francis the Scaredy Cat" which could lend itself well but its so hard to pitch because I have never taught children with severe learning difficulties before and I feel a bit out of my depth. My interview is on Thursday. x

8. dzil

find your little icon with your user name next to it at the top right of the page on the black bar, not the bigger one underneath. hover over it or right click on it and you'll get a drop down menu. Click on "conversations" which should be part way down the right side. This is the PM function of this forum!
    Have you looked at the P levels in the link I posted?

9. dzil

Genie, I have sent you a "conversation" it will show up as a yellow 1 on the drop down list under your "blue ghost" avatar.

10. dzil

Good luck tomorrow Genie.
    How did it go Emily?