1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books for PGDE Primary at Strathclyde

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Englishgirl8, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Please could any previous PGDEr's advise which book they found essential on this course as I am currently unable to afford the full book list. Thanks

2. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

I'm doing Secondary, and the two I've been advised to get above all others are "A Guide to Teaching Practice (5th Edition)" and "Scottish Eduction - Beyond Devolution (Third Edition)". They cover the main aspects of the theory of education which apply across Primary and Secondary. I do know, though, that there are other books you will need for Primary relating to things like maths and language.
    Look up the books on Amazon or Ebay too. Make sure though that you're getting the right edition - from what I've seen, the current versions of the two above go for about £15 or so, but previous versions are about 99p because people just want them off their shelves.
    You could also try just getting to the library quickly - try your local library, or go to the University library as quickly as possible!

3. Hi there - I did the PGDE Primary course at Strathclyde and have got the full set of books for sale plus a few extras you'll be asked to buy during the course.

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">All are in really good condition and essential for completing
    the various assignments you will be given during the course.</font>

<ol>
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Learning to Teach Number by
    Frobisher et al (RRP
    &pound;19.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">A Guide to Teaching
    Practice by Cohen et al (RRP
    &pound;22.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Six Religions in the 21st
    Century by Cole & Morgan (RRP
    &pound;20.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Perspectives on Learning by
    Phillips & Soltis (RRP
    &pound;16.50)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Teaching Literacy Using
    Texts to Enhance Learning by David Wray (RRP
    &pound;18.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Essential Teaching Skills
    by Kyriacou (RRP
    &pound;15.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Scottish Education Second
    Edition Post-Devolutation by Bryce & Humes (RRP &pound;27.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Learning to Teach in the
    Primary Classroom by Proctor et al (RRP
    &pound;21.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Mathematics In Nursery
    Education by Montague-Smith (RRP
    &pound;19.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Phonics by Lewis and Ellis (RRP
    &pound;20.99)
    <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman"> The Possibilities of Play in the Classroom

by Latta (RRP
    &pound;15.00)</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Teaching Physical Education In The Primary School by Pickup & Price (RRP &pound;22.99)</ol>Total
    price if bought from John Smith Bookshop: &pound;244.40</font>[/b]
    I'm
    selling them for &pound;90
    as they are just sitting on my shelf at home,
    and I&rsquo;d probably never read them again! If you're interested please get in
    touch. My number is 07810262149. </font>
    Good luck on the course! Jennifer.