1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books for KS1 and KS2

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by slavetotherhythm91, Feb 2, 2020.

1. slavetotherhythm91

slavetotherhythm91 New commenter

Hi,

Starting to tutor KS1 and KS2 English and Maths. Can anyone suggest books I should get or a place for up to date resources?

Thanks

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

For Maths ks2 I use the CGP textbook. I have just introduced the 10 mins weekly workout as homework. I decided to introduce it as the student I am teaching (year 4) has just started getting regular check-in tests at school and she was struggling to understand the questions. She could do it if I explain it to her but she struggled with the layout. She does random questions rather than in order but I am just trying to build good habits. I play alot of games (from 10 ticks) because she is so young with KS1 I would expect most of the lesson to be games.

slavetotherhythm91 likes this.
  3. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

CGP have a wide range of books, I have quite a few different ones for all the primary year groups and also KS3 and GCSE. Can highly recommend them.

4. misssunflower2

misssunflower2 New commenter

Maths - White Rose Maths website for maths planning. I really like the scheme as it also focuses a lot on mastery, problem-solving and reasoning.

English - Search ‘the literacy shed’ that’s a fab website. Also search literacywagoll to get examples of different types of texts.

****** is one of the best sites for primary resources (sorry TES).

5. slavetotherhythm91

slavetotherhythm91 New commenter

Thank you both for your replies! I’ve seen Collins books - what’s the difference, is CGP better?

Based in Wales (don’t do SATS anymore), does it matter if I get books based around SATS? (like CGP and Collins books are)

Thanks

6. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

The books are good foundation for KS3. SATs should only be testing the circumlum has been taught and understood. The CPG books I use don't mention SATs see attached photo but I don't see an issue using the books that mention SATs.

Attached Files: