1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

books for a child struggling to accept the idea of a new baby

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Dec 1, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

One of the pupils in nursery (3 yrs 7 months) is struggling to come to terms with her Mum being pregnant. She has no other siblings. She is punching her mum and calling her disgusting names. I have been asked as PSHE coordinator for advice about books the mum and dad could read to her about new babies so she feels like she has a role as big sister. Support has been requested from the school nurse, counseller etc too.
    Does anyone know of any book about a new baby to the family which would be good for her?
    Thanks

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You might like to also get the family to consider whether it is the new baby which is actually the problem - did I read you right, that baby hasn't arrived yet? There might be all sorts of reasons why this 3yo is cross with mummy - do they <u>really </u>understand that there is a baby on the way? Thinking back to my children - my nearly 3yo and 5 yo didn't really get it until the baby sister actually arrived (we had told them!!). Mummy may have some pregnancy related issues that are changing her behaviour to existing child (my sister had the separating pelvis thing that meant she realy drew back from her first born during pregnancy) - this might be something to do with the exisiting relationship, rather than one with the potential sibling.
    Just a few thoughts, hope they're helpful!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

The same thought occurred to me. Most three-year-olds don't register pregnancy unless they're told.