1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

books containing letters

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon888, May 7, 2007.

1. Hi,
    About to start letter writing this week and I was wondering if anyone could think of any books that contain letters that I might be able to use. The only thing I can think of is the jolly postman. Any other ideas.
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    About to start letter writing this week and I was wondering if anyone could think of any books that contain letters that I might be able to use. The only thing I can think of is the jolly postman. Any other ideas.
    Thanks

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

4. tressie

tressie New commenter

Beat me to it tafkam. I was busy looking up the author for Dear Greenpeace (Simon James)whilst you posted. It's a book about a small girl who finds a whale in her garden pond. She writes letters to Greenpeace about it and they send her replies.
    This is a useful link as it shows you some of the letters it contains.
    http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/leas/islington/accounts/subjects...

5. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

6. Deathwood (pron Deethwood) letters by Hazel Townson.

The whole story it told entirely through letters between the two main characters, and has a nice twist in the end.

7. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

There's one about a trip to the north pole by Harry Horse (I think). It's brilliant cos it's funny and told entirely in letters home. I'll see if I can find the exact title.

8. Magpie Song by Laurence Anholt
    letters between a girl and her grandad.

9. Magpie song is available as an interactive text through Hamilton

10. Letters from a Mouse by Herbie Brennan.

Good for punctuation, particularly capital letters as the mouse can't type them because he can't stand on the shift key and letter simultaneously. Then he finds caps lock and does all capitals, but can't do questions marks, speech marks etc.

11. Dear Daddy... by Phillipe Dupasquier, a little girl named Sophie misses her daddy who's working on a cargo ship bound for Hong Kong. She writes a letter telling him all about what's going on at home.

12. The last polar bears

13. Meerkat Mail by Emily Gravett. A story about a Meerkat who visits all his cousins (diff types of mongoose) and sends postcards home.

14. Magpie Song is also called 'Seven for a Secret'
    Also: Little Wolf's Book of Badness, Dear Mr Henshaw,
    Dear Max by Sally Grindley, The Best Christmas Present in the World by Michael Morpurgo and a nice non-fiction one 'Dear Daniel: Letters from Antarctica'

15. This is really useful and saved me lots of time - Thanks