1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books, Books, books, books!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by saz0908, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Just meandering through town earlier and a bookshop was shutting down. 80% off everything!

Well about 2 hours later out got out alive with about 25 books for £30.

That's my bargain for the year.

2. Just meandering through town earlier and a bookshop was shutting down. 80% off everything!

Well about 2 hours later out got out alive with about 25 books for £30.

That's my bargain for the year.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I daren't bring home 25 books! I daren't!
    It was bad enough the look I got when I pulled out the Dorothy Koomson book I've been wanting to buy for ages (reduced to £2 in The Works!).

4. Well normally my hubby would run a mile but he helped me chose books, as did my son.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You must have needed both of them to carry them around!

6. Just a bit!!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

In fairness, I did get rid of a lot when we moved house - but now I keep on buying more to replace them! Sounds like you got a good bargain though!

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Grrrr! You jammy ratbag! I want some!!

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I saw that Sussex Stationers was closing down.
    I couldn't bring myself to go in.

10. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Are all the branches of Sussex Stationers closing down? I live in Yorkshire but used to spend lots of time in Kent and Sussex and loved Sussex Stationers. Haven't been down there in years and your post reminded me of that shop.

11. Yep they have gone bust. Been bought out by whsmiths. Some close today, others in the next week or so.

12. We are decorating the spare bedroom and the books in there have been piled up for sorting. But what to get rid of? There are far too many in our house for the bookcases so I need to be more ruthless. I'm hoping that my Kindle will stop them taking up far too much space in future.

13. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

So it seems [​IMG]

14. I have book envy. Finished my last lot and am now re-reading my collection of Fay Weldon. Always good, but I've read them all about three times each.

15. I have book envy too! I have no new books to look forward to and am rereading Stuart MacBride. I know they are gruesome but also incredibly funny.

16. So your haul of cheap books isn't something to celebrate.
    Small bookshops that are forced out of business won't be replaced. We'll be sorry when all that's left are places that sell celeb biographies and big bars of choc for £1.

17. I cannot give away books. We have bookcases in every room in the house and still the numbers of books multiply.

Buy more bookcases. :)