1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Books about music

Discussion in 'Music' started by jubilada, Nov 28, 2015.

1. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I am looking for an illustrated book about music - history, instruments etc as a present for a 12 yr old. I have found a few on line but have no idea what they are like. Can anyone on here help? Usborne introduction to music - DK Childrens book of music (both maybe too young?) - Helen Bauer Young people's guide to classical music - Gareth Malones guide to classical music.
    I'm looking for a light read rather than a study book. Thanks.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

3. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Anything by Theodor Adorno. He has a canny way of making even the most complex concept seem refreshingly simple.

Lennox

sean1746 likes this.
  4. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Thank you Sparklepig!

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Saw this thread and thought it might be of interest if anyone has anything to add - so I'm bumping it up to the top!
    I love 'My First Classical Music' book, published by Naxos - they also do an app for this. Probably suitable for 6-10 year olds.
    Also the Ann Rachlin composers series - the childhoods of the great composers told with illustrations. I believe you can buy these books on second-hand book websites. In my experience children really enjoy listening to these stories. Composers in the series include: Bach, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms.