1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Booklovers' corner

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by robbywilliams66, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Brilliant [​IMG]

Don't suppose you found a copy of The King James version of 'The Holy Bblibble' did you?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Talking of the bible, I was listening to some music by Mumford and Sons and one of the stand out tracks on their album is "Timshel". Not knowing what this meant, I used the world's most authoritive source, namely google, and found that it is not clear what it means but that it is an important underlying philosophy in East of Eden. In the Authorised version it means "Thou Shalt" but in the original Hebrew it means "Thou Mayest".
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, next years ToK class is going to get to listen to the song "Timshel" and then, after suitable reflection, do a presentation on the word "Timshel" as used in East of Eden, the Bible and the song.
    Sorry, thread can return to its original purpose now. Or should that be it may return to its original purpose?

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Dude, I am starting to prune my books and wondered if you might point me in the right direction here. I have a copy of a book called 'The Layman's History of the Church of England' by G.R. Balleine. It was first published in 1913 and the edition I have was published in 1961. I think my priest gave it to me when I was attending confirmation classes. Where does one sell books like this-any ideas?

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    I have spent many a happy hour with such treasures as Sredni Vashtar and Mrs Packletide's Tiger, not to mention the egregious Clovis (I said DON'T mention Clovis!)
    My deliberate vices, as Bobb of the Latter Day Clovises (Damn!) will eagerly inform you, are legion, but book collecting usually seems to happen by accident. On honeymoon in 1968 at our family cottage (some said 'shack') in North Wales, very close to COJ's ancestral Tan y Grisau, I acquired a massive three volume early Victorian morocco bound Shakespeare, dripping with gold leaf and with lavish colour plates by the likes of Cruikshank, Dickens's illustrator. It cost me the princely sum of two pounds, or eight gallons of petrol. The last time I was in my son's local antiquarian booksellers in Bedford they had a similar but younger and plainer Shakespeare advertised at five hundred of your English quids. Until a couple of weeks ago mine sat on a coffer in our living room. Then Mrs M noticed that one of my choir members (coarse fellows, basses) was using 'Tragedy' as a coaster during rehearsal and we shifted it out of harm's way.
    As I enter my my dotage (yes, yes, Clovis, I know) I sometimes find myself re-purchasing old friends I have loved long since and lost awhile. Were any other children's stories quite as meticulously researched, perfectly constructed or simply as gripping as Arthur Ransome's?

5. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

None that I managed to find and read. The only comparable - in terms of research, construction and plot - would be The Dark Is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper. Don't be put off by the dreary Americanised film of recent times. Whilst I'm fairly confident that your retirement reading list is very full already, Mainwaring, if you are looking for gifts for 8-13 year old readers you may like to have a quick look. They are quite Arthurian flavoured with a good undertone of Celtic mythology, and are a whole lot less dreary than C.S. Lewis. Again, you may have many other things to read already, but try His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman for an modern examlpe of a well written 'childrens' book. (Mind you, I have my own reasons for liking 'Swallows and Amazons').
    On the subject of childrens' books and second hand book selling- if anyone could point me in the direction of a book called 'Bottersnipes and Gumbles', then Mrs S would be delighted. She maintains that Master S bears striking resemblance to a 'gumble'. ..

6. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Although there was an American writer called Willard Price who wrote some great books about animal collectors. The titles all had the word 'Adventure' in them. Oh, and in a similar theme, the Greald Durrell books about Jersey Zoo and animal collecting were good as well.
    Back to marking.. *sigh*

7. Mainwaring

Excellent and also repeatedly re-readable.
    In these my jaded latter days I seldom say 'I couldn't put it down' but in the last couple of weeks I've eagerly devoured Sebastian Faulks's The Girl at the Lion d'Or and Human Traces and am a third of the way through Charlotte Gray. Another great read is Patrick O'Brian's series of Aubrey-Maturin novels and I'm totally hooked on Tony Hillerman's tales of Leaphorn, Chee and the Navajo Tribal Police. Nobody has ever managed to combine archaeology, anthropology and detection in such an utterly fascinating manner.
    I don't really know what a gumble is but I'm fairly sure I've taught a few of them.

8. If you are on facebook, search Bottersnikes and Gumbles there-they have their own page, run by the Grandson of the author. Apparently, there are plans for a film, and the books are to come back into print.
    My children loved Botternikes and Gumbles. They say that I resemble a Gumble.

9. You can't beat a good old Stephen King....

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

No, don't do that - there's nothing there.
    Enjoy the panting, yapping, reeking, wriggling, scratching, drooling Biggles who jumps into your lap a-wagging of his poo-flecked tail just when you've charged your glass with Gran Reserva, but do not waste a moment of your Golden Years on the aviating original.
    I've also enjoyed O'Brian, although Maturin gets on my nerves - his being Irish, and Catalan, and also winsomely wise about everything, grates on the nerves of this bilious Tory.
    During a rained-out three days away last week I tackled Wolf Hall at last, and eagerly await the head-lopping sequel.

11. Mainwaring

It's Jack's gormless naiveté outside the scope of his profession which occasionally irritates me. I like Maturin's deadly and honest irascibility, the rapier at the throat and the nose-twisting of impertinent Admiralty officials. I've read a couple of biographies of O'Brian who himself was a cantankerous bvgger.

12. Kay Scarpetta, a female super sleuth with no equal.
    She always gets her man...so to speak...

13. Mainwaring

Pharaoh, have you read Jeffrey Deaver? Amazing plotsmith, though as far as I know he's never tackled the shower checker theme. Far superior in my opinion to Stephen King. Amazingly prolific. More twists and turns than Clovis's teaching career.

14. "NEVER!"
    I mean, read Jeffery Deaver, that is.
    I suppose Hithcock came closest to a shower checker theme in 'Psycho'. Norman Bates living a lie..
    I'm going to get kicked in the knackers here, but I read an Archer book recently and it was one of the best books I have ever read (out of the seven I have managed...).
    'Paths of Glory' - the man's an utter prick, but he can write a book. He's a bit of a fibber, too, no?
    Any particular Jeffrey Deaver? I shall be in WHSmith in the next couple of days. And that's the truth.

15. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Once many years ago I was moonlighting as a security guard in a disused lesiure centre in Guildford. I spent twelve hours the previous night sat in the reception area, occasionally going for a wander round- and yes, I did in the course of my wanderings check the showers- and reading my book. The second night I was there, I forgot my book, and after poking around in the receptionists' desks found a copy of a Jeffery Archer book. I think it was 'Cain and Abel'. After twenty pages, I found some old A4 paper, made myself a deck of cards and played patience all night instead. That is the closest I have ever come to reading JA.
    I quite like Stephen King, when he is at his best he is phenonemal. At his worst he is a bit 'meh'. I also quite like the 'Sharpe' books as well mind you, so it is possible my literary palate is poorly edumacated.

16. I read the follow up to 'Cain and Abel' and liked it - something to do with the daughter of one of them becoming female president.
    I read another Archer book about a spy in South America.
    Look, I'm really sorry, I promise to desist from reading his books.

17. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

My faourite Deaver is"The Blue Nowhere"

I think the best one for Foamy to start with would be "Twisted", a collection of his best short stories.

18. Fiction, I presume...
    As always.

19. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Thanks Dude. Of course, as soon as I pressed enter on my post, a revolutionary thought popped into my waterlogged brain; why not do a google search Yasimum! Of course I did and found several copies on Amazon, all in good condition with dust jackets etc.
    My copy is old, brown, dog eared and the priest had written copious notes all over the place. I will hang on to it for old times sake since I shan't be funding my retirement on it! THanks!

20. What's the fuss, Yas? Can't you get an ireader or something? [​IMG]