1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Booking troubles- bad communication ...agents Grrr!!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by maverick1, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I have specific arrangements with agents, not to give me same day bookings, so when I got a call last night to go to a job, I was pleased. I was then told, although the job was confirmed, they still had to ring the school again. (why?) It was already 5 pm and they had left messages which were unanswered. I was then told by the agent, they would ring me back in 20 mins, This did not happen, as promised, so their office closed and I was left unsure if I was really going today.
    This morning I phoned them ( they should have phoned me first!) at 7.15 and the result was that the school had covered it internally (as they do!)
    I was hastily fobbed off by the agent, who's excuse about yesterday was that during the negotiations with the school, she was called away to a 'safeguarding issue'. What got me was that the job was not really confirmed when she said it was and then I am told she is not a miracle maker for not getting back to me with an answer sooner.
    Why oh why are there no more professiojnal standards; no apologies, just empty promises of returned calls, and deceit at times from very large organisations. The job was probably covered last night, but communication had broken down. All it would have taken was some honesty from the agent to phone me in the evening and say that it was not properly confrmed.
    You had anything similiar?

2. I would be surprised if the agencies take the attitude that it is the schools who pay their fees, so it is the schools which matter. from the agency's point of view, it is better for them to have a supply teacher 'hanging on' as a contingency, just in case the school does need them. If this means the supply teacher loses day's pay and/or wastes money in travelling to a school, which does not need them, then it is no loss to the agency.
    Similarly, I think schools often take the same attitude: it is better to order up a supply teacher that might not ultimately be needed, wasting their time and money, than have the possibility of a class without a teacher.
    I know from personal experience how angering and frustrating it is to have travelled for up to two hours, and spent £s in fares, only to find you are not wanted.