1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

booking cut short

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tonymars, Oct 21, 2019.

1. shirt7

shirt7 New commenter

I know you mean well Peakster, but one year does not a supply teacher make! You need to go to Hell and back to really understand. You took the safe option of a long term post after your year of supply and I notice you often refer to your ONE year. I’ve done it for over 20 years-it’s on a different level. I’m not trying to have a go at you......just saying!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've also been a "regular" teacher for 20 odd years and am experienced enough to know what supply is all about thanks.

I'm sure you are an excellent supply teacher Shirt but I don't always understand the levels of masochism involved to make a career out of it.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. shirt7

shirt7 New commenter

Ha ha! The first 7 years is masochism but once you really get the hang of it , the next 13 years is pure joy!
    But yes, I do acknowledge that if you’re not on top of things, it’s very tough!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I will happily admit that the first 3 months of my supply teaching year were by far the toughest of my entire teaching career.

agathamorse, tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  5. shirt7

shirt7 New commenter

Yes don’t mind me. I’m one of the few who does supply teaching as a career choice. You can only do it well if you go in ‘all guns blazing’. I just get annoyed that so many on this forum are always looking for help from senior management, the teacher next door etc. The nice ones will indeed help but don’t expect to be booked again. You’re paid to work out a way to deal with what’s in front of you.

6. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Sounds like both schools had unrealistic expectations. Some really expect too much from supply teachers.
    I taught at a really nice school today, although last period the class were very silly. When I asked for support, another teacher swapped her class and mine, so I had a very well behaved group. At no point was I blamed for this. SLT apologised to me profusely. I thanked them for their support.

7. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Tonymars. I understand your problems and as other people have said grit your teeth, for every bed school like you have encounter you will encounter more good schools. The schools and the SMT let you down and failed in their jobs. To some extent you did the right thing in explaining to the HoD that the work could be improved, today for example I told the HoD that the work set had already been done over previous weeks by different supplies and I explained how I changed it. so the work ceased to be repetitive and the HoD was thankful because they did not know. Having said that I have been to the school on a number of times. If the work set is poor then I tend to think on my feet and change it slightly and by thinking on your feet, most HoDs would be happy by this. It is worse when the work set is posters, how the kids are sick of posters.

In terms of behaviour some schools do like the fact that visiting teachers expose the poor behaviour of the students and like to pretend they are good students, I always follow the procedure, always ask what is the behavioural policy on the way to the classroom, peak to the teacher in the next classroom and always check what is the procedure for calling on-call. Having said that the in-call system at the school I was today is so bad as to be non-existent, in fact that they have effectively 1 person to deal with 1200 plus kids, no on-call button on sims as well.

So do not let it get you down and in time you will have skin like a Rhino, always remember the kids are like wolfs looking for a lamb to devour and supply are seen as the lamb, be polite, calm and follow the procedures, to ensure that the kids cannot claim you failed to follow the rules.

agathamorse, pepper5 and tonymars like this.
  8. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

It's good to see this thread developing, much excellent advice, both for myself and I am sure for others.

Treat each day as if it's your last. Yes, as a permanent or a supply, when I did this, these were always the best days.

It's nice to reminded that I am not alone - supply can be very lonely place.

From the responses it seems that there are basically two responses to the poor behaviour which is, at least to some degree, inevitably to be encountered as a supply: keep shtum, shut up; or use policy - assuming one is given - to the letter. I am instinctively drawn to the later, but the reality might be that whatever approach is more effective for the humble supply teacher - i.e. that their placements are not prematurely cut short, and to a lesser extent stress from behaviour - depends on the school, or rather specific individuals within the school. It is up to us, therefore, to form an opinion, very quickly as to which is the best. One might say hey be strict, use the policy to the letter, and if this results in a "complaint" from a teenage malcontent and subsequent termination of the placement, at least you've done "nothing wrong."

But, the end result is the same. Lost wages.

This thread has helped me understand that I should not take any curtailment personally or too seriously. Also, the sheer insecurity of the thing, even at peak times, and to rely on a short, but steady stream of income is unrealistic and naïve.

I still hold that the disposability of supplies has changed in the last year, for one reason or another, what do others think?

9. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

This year the work is less and I think that schools are now looking for a pool of supply teachers, rather then taking random people, I also think that there more supply teachers, so we are to some extent disposable in terms of how we are treated and in truth we have always been disposable, combine these factors with a reduced budgets for supply staff in schools then at present the supply sector is in a perfect storm.

10. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear this. If you want the job of sheriff on amity island don't mention the shark in the room!

tonymars likes this.