1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Booking a Holiday!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by staceycur, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi, I need some advice please!
    My friend is getting married in Mexico next summer, and I am a bridesmaid! Very exciting!!...but...They are going on the Tuesday of the last week of the summer term! [​IMG]
    I am currently unemployed and on supply so if it was this summer it would be no problem as I would not be contracted in school, but I'm looking for a job for September, so hopefully I will be working!
    My partner is under the impression that if it is booked before employment commences then they have to honour it, but I'm not sure that this is the case in school - I feel that it is inappropriate. If I flew out after schools break up, I would miss the wedding!!
    Do i book or not?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

2. Hi, I need some advice please!
    My friend is getting married in Mexico next summer, and I am a bridesmaid! Very exciting!!...but...They are going on the Tuesday of the last week of the summer term! [​IMG]
    I am currently unemployed and on supply so if it was this summer it would be no problem as I would not be contracted in school, but I'm looking for a job for September, so hopefully I will be working!
    My partner is under the impression that if it is booked before employment commences then they have to honour it, but I'm not sure that this is the case in school - I feel that it is inappropriate. If I flew out after schools break up, I would miss the wedding!!
    Do i book or not?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It is not the case in any line of employment. They only have to "honour" it, if you tell them about it at interview AND they agree to honouring it.

4. What would you advice be on booking?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It's still a long way away, so I'd leave it for now. If you get a job starting in September, you can always try asking nicely: there are probably still some heads who might agree to some unpaid leave.
    If you haven't found a longer-term contract by the middle of next year, and you're doing supply again, then I'd be inclined to go ahead and book - it's then a more reasonable assumption that you won't be working, and if a job does then come up, you can explain that.

7. Book it. How much learning happens in the last few days anyway!

8. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Being a bridesmaid is pretty special, though you would if you have booked it need to raise it with the school before you accepted the job. I would be tempted to say something along the line of I have agreed to be a bridesmaid and would need to take x day off, of course I understand it would be unpaid. It is still up to the Head to let you have the time off but if you disclose this before accepting the job it should be fine. But of course nobody likes to be asking about time off before they have started a job...

9. 576

576 Established commenter

Surely the bride knows you're a teacher.
    Explain that if you have a full time job you won't be able to make it!

10. dg63

dg63 New commenter

Surely, teacher's are allowed to have a life outside of school!

If you are open about it at interview then there shouldn't be a problem, especially if you make it clear that the time off will be unpaid. If they say no, don't take the job. Would you want to work in a school like that?

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

The last week of term is life inside school...

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

And there are plenty of days in the year in which to have it.

13. To be fair, this isn't just somebody randomly wanting a holiday: someone else has booked it and she is a bridesmaid.
    if this was me, I would wait to be offered a position and then ask, I am sure many Heads would be fine with it. After all, it would be different if you had a permanent position now but as you don't many heads will understand, I'm sure.

14. But most don't.
    I have known a teacher take a job which meant she would start a week late because of her honeymoon... she ended up having a late honeymoon in the October half term. It was the job or the honeymoon and she decided it was better to have the job.
    If you book now and find you can't get the time off, you have wasted your money.

15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

With no thought for Teachers the rest of the Non-teaching World (and there's quite a lot of it) is rather inconsiderate and doesn't plan itself around term dates. This can be a bit of a nuisance if occasionally one is tempted to have contact (only briefly of course) with this World.
    OK, I'm being over sarcastic,[​IMG] but this case does illustrate one of the constraints a career as a Teacher can have on your lifestyle.

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Shocking, isn't it, not being able to go on holiday when you fancy and being restricted to 13 weeks holiday every year. I know my friends in other jobs weep for us all.