1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book trawl... is this what education looks like today?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Grandsire, Jan 29, 2018.

1. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

It is not as long as ten years ago, more like four and the same practices are getting the same grades. Not exactly flimsy.

2. nervousned

I don't hear of successful challenges, do you? Examples would be nice as they would be in the public domain.

3. nervousned

Evidence suggests that some stay at their peak for a long time, some get complacent and decline and others move onto different things. Again not just teaching.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes. I have very recent experience of one. A statement was made in a draft report that the school disputed and that statement was completely removed prior to publication.

The draft report is confidential, so unless you are the HT of the school in question, or senior MAT staff, you would not hear of such a challenge...

This is not at all unusual.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Inspectors really don't have a preference for particular practices, they are interested in how effective they are though.

Have you ever been in an Ofsted team meeting during an inspection?

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Agreed. Although, did you not suggest earlier that a teacher failing to continually improve would represent fault on behalf of school leadership...?

7. nervousned

I said I heard of wording being changed but not grades. How is this different?

8. nervousned

Evidence suggests that one of the problems of observations is that personal preferences create bias. Ofsted inspectors are hardly immune from this.

Ofsted have tried to take these preferences out of the report but cannot take them out of the people.

You seem to think that effective T&L is objective. It is not, it is very subjective.

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I think it's both.

Overall achievement is what it is and while there may be a 'narrative' behind any data, they are not open to dispute.

How best to get to where you want to be however, is a matter always open to discussion...

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

upload_2018-2-12_20-9-42.png

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought your comment was in response to mine about schools challenging wording of reports.

11. nervousned

Which was in turn a response to mine about only wording being changed. Must have misread yours and assumed it was saying something different.

12. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

It's bonkers and it's boring. As far as I can tell, children don't learn a great deal from parents these days, add into the mix a poor quality education and young people enter their adult lives as empty vessels. My two-stars-and-a-wish would be to just let teachers teach!

drek likes this.