1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book trawl... is this what education looks like today?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Grandsire, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

But you have not put red pen on each page, not highlighted what they did well in green pen, not picked out mistakes in orange pen, nor corrected all the spelling mistakes, put on stickers to show whether it was group work, class work or independent work, with WWW comments and EBIs for them to respond to, let alone stamped with well-done comments and made sure that you've stamped anywhere that you spoke to them with a VERBAL FEEDBACK GIVEN stamp.

You don't care about the children, do you. Are you committed to teaching? It's not just a job, you know. It's a vocation.

drek, JohnJCazorla, BetterNow and 2 others like this.
  2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

It really is a petty load of b*llox, isn't it? When I was at school, the teachers had real subject knowledge and it was our responsibility to learn from however they felt fit to share their expertise. I despair at what teaching has become. It really holds no interest for me in its present form.

Mrsmumbles and drek like this.
  3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

You can't polish a tord, but you can roll it in glitter.
    [​IMG]

drek likes this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It's because Ofsted don't care about any of the rubbish that people on here are talking about. It's all down to poor local management when teachers are made to waste their lives completing superfluous admin tasks that do nothing to further outcomes.

Ofsted don't care if you never mark a book ever, as long as you can explain your rationale, have a written policy on the subject that all staff adhere to and can evidence strong progress.

Ofsted are not the problem - and I say this having spent a recent couple of days glued to an inspection team - it's poor local decision making...

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They do if you work in a school with idiotic policies.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I refer you to my above comments on poor local management...;)

7. drek

drek Lead commenter

Yes but thanks to widespread local idiotic interpretations of policy individual teachers are paying a heavy price in terms of mental and physical welfare.

And then go on to mentor others in that frame of mind..........bleddy awful to have to stand aside and watch.

BetterNow likes this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Well, some of us are actively engaged in challenging such nonsense...

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Well ye-es, but I see no glitter on these two. Grease, yes. Glitter, nope.

10. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

I am clearly a very bad teacher

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Evidence learning', in practice, means evidence marking, as in producing evidence that you have marked according to a prescribed scheme. It has little or nothing to do with your students.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  12. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Fear of Ofsted created the problem and as long as they award Outstanding and Good to schools with such unsustainable policies then they remain part of the problem. I will only agree that Ofsted aren't when every school who pursues such a set of policies are awarded no higher than Requires Improvement. After all it is strong evidence of inadequate leadership. Mythbusting will continue to fail when academy chains notorious for such practices can still say all their schools are rated good or higher.

Compassman likes this.
  13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Some schools with good working conditions for teachers get good or better inspection outcomes, some schools with bad working conditions for teachers get good or better inspections outcomes.

They establishments I work in fall into the first category.

Ofsted are not tasked with inspecting working conditions. (Although such matters are beginning to edge onto the inspection agenda.)

14. tenpast7

tenpast7 New commenter

Why don't we as a profession just remove the deep layers of SLT, keep a Headteacher, and a Deputy, save a bucketload of money in Schools and allow classroom teachers to support/ encourage each other through peer observation and remove the infantile and perpetual scrutiny from the chalk face.
    It is so obvious and common sense that each new grandiose initiative is dreamed up by those who don't teach.
    I also include OFSTED as a waste of money.
    This might help the present farce that exists in our education system.

15. nervousned

Such matters should be central to the inspection agenda, not just edge in. It is poor leadership and management to create an unsustainable working environment and Ofsted are supposed to monitor leadership and management. However Ofsted has given an entire academy chain good and outstanding where it is well known among the profession that turnover is high due to working policies that no human could ever manage long term. These are practices that have lost far too many good people to the profession and they have never been more widespread than they are now.

It is irrelevant that your establishments don't work that way when criticising Ofsted for their work in this area. It is not enough that they don't require such practices. They need to condemn them. There have been several times during my teaching career where Ofsted would reward bad practice and then realising their error start punishing it. This should be one of those times.

JohnJCazorla and BetterNow like this.
  16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I feel your frustration, but Ofsted cannot just change their own mandate - They are appointed to undertake a specific function by the government

Yes - In terms of how well it does in promoting effective T&L, safeguarding, student behavior, welfare and SMSC and outcomes.

Nothing about how happy staff are (or are not).

If what you say about the MAT (or 'federation' concerned) is true, why is it that they appear to have little difficulty attracting so many new staff? Most of their schools are in an area of high density population with lots of schools proximate to each other, meaning potential staff-members could easily travel to other schools in the vicinity to work instead...

17. nervousned

Effective T&L has been redefined by Ofsted without government intervention several times. They can decide that effective means sustainable and no mandate change required.

I've never mentioned the happiness of staff, just the sustainability of policies.

With regards to the MAT, they recruit large numbers of newly qualified, some naïve, some desperate for a job and burn them out within a couple of years unless they progress to management. It is a deliberate strategy and in no way should be considered good or outstanding.

tenpast7 likes this.
  18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

We are in the midst of a 'recruitment crisis' - There is a massive shortage of teachers, particularity in the geographic area where the MAT in question has most of its operations. No (good) teacher should be 'desperate' for a job. The trend is more that schools are desperate to find decent teachers.

Do you really believe that everybody who joins this very large employer is 'naive'?

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The poster actually said
    I expect there's a fair amount of truth in that too.

The turnover in a couple of high profile MATs when teachers are in demand is somewhat perplexing..

20. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

While I can see 'staff happiness' is perhaps outside the remit of Ofsted, from a parent's point of view I would be concerned if my child's school had a high turnover of staff - particularly changes of teacher at a mid-point of the academic year unless it were a maternity situation. Staff turnover should surely be a consideration when deciding Ofsted gradings.

BetterNow likes this.