1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book to share with year 3 students question...?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by venusspecimen, Oct 18, 2016.

1. venusspecimen

venusspecimen New commenter

hello folks i wondered if i might be so bold as to seek your advice about something? i've just been offered an interview for another job i applied for, part time teaching assistant yr 2 and 3 in a school. they've emailed me to say they'd like to interview me this friday, but its a format that i'm entirely unfamiliar with and bricking it about! lol. they've said that i need to bring a book to share with a class of 29 mixed ability students of yr 3 for 30mins and i'm allowed to bring props. they havent eluded to anything else and i've never had this scenario. have you heard of this and do you have any idea what sort of thing they're expecting? i'm sooooo in the dark. i am not phased at all about being in classroom environment and engaging with the children and their faces etc but reeling it in and so on if it kicks off. pmsl. but i just dont know what on earth type of book and/or props they're hoping for. oh i'm so sorry for asking you your opinion and advice folks? thanks oodles for your valued time on this. warmest regards. really hope someone or some people can elude to thoughts on this, PLEASE? xx

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

What they want is a book you think Year 3 children will be able to engage in-something age appropriate! They probably expect to see you engage with the book-reading in voices/expression, asking the children questions as you read, perhaps including the children in the reading if there is a repetitive phrase/pattern. you might want to bring in a story sack of props/wear a costume to match whichever you felt comfortable with! I would also expect to see some behaviour management strategies in place. 30 minutes is a long time to read so perhaps a follow up activity ( describe a character from the book type thing) prepared would be good.
    In the interview, be prepared to say why you selected the book, what other activities you think would flow from it etc.

Good Luck

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would choose a picture book (to show) and short enough that you can read the entire book in the time.
    Props would be relevant to the story and allow 'volunteers' to help with minor bits of acting.
    Choose a book with lots dialogue to aid the acting.